New Droid X

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Just upgraded from my original Droid to the X.
Aside from cleaning up a lot of the messy Blur widgets the phone is fantastic.

Just wondering if there are any tips specific to the X that an OD owner might not be aware of?

I've noticed a whole lot of camera/camcorder options that were not in my OD and wondering what people have found is best for picture taking/recording vid?

I've done a couple of vids in HD mode that seem just a little choppy... is D1 better?

Also, I rocked my OD naked for well over a year and you can barely tell it's been used... not a single scratch on the screen or body.. just some points on the back you can tell it's been rubbed by my hand holding it... is the X as durable as the OD or is a case/screen protector needed? I'm loving the thinness of this device and if it's just as well made as the OD I'd love to rock it naked as well.

Oh, and I'm running stock... for the first time in over a year.
Damn it's smooth and snappy... .right now I dont see a reason to root and ROM... but knowing me I'll start looking into that within a couple weeks.

turdbogls

Reaction score
same phone just a larger screen and better processor/camera. i use camera in normal mode, not fancy settings and it does great in sunlight. also my 720P videos are actually pretty awesome. use the DX the same way you would an OD and you will be ok.

and if you think the phone is quick and smooth now, wait until you get a custom ROM on it. :)

HayWire

Reaction score
same phone just a larger screen and better processor/camera. i use camera in normal mode, not fancy settings and it does great in sunlight. also my 720P videos are actually pretty awesome. use the DX the same way you would an OD and you will be ok.

and if you think the phone is quick and smooth now, wait until you get a custom ROM on it. :)

+1 on the Roms, you'll love it even more afterwards.I said the same thing after I got mine and two days later I put liberty on it and its been amazing ever since. I love the x, but to me in my hands I was worried about dropping it because it seems slippery or something to me, I got the Kraken case and it is now perfect. Comes with a built in screen protector and you will notice smudges on the screen fast! You may want to get a screen protector on it asap.. I like the kraken for its built in one and that way there are no bubbles!

Enjoy your new phone!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just came to the X from the OGD and love it also! I had the OD neked and never really wanted a case. That is until I met the Incipio for the X! I like the way the phone feels and fits in the hand much better than stock. The protection part is just a bonus! I never rooted the OD and now have Liberty running on the X. Wow is it kick a$$!

drivinfocused

Reaction score
i just did the same thing... upgraded to the X from D1. i am now looking at rooting this one since i had the D1 rooted..... now i just have to figure out if i want to go the way of RSD or if i want to go the Z4......... keep us updated!

bsbabcock

Reaction score
When (rather than "if") I root my X, it'll be Z4Root.. Apparantly it is THE way to get it done on the DX. There's a quick how-to vid on youtube and thread on the DX forum that makes it look all too easy to do the root essentials (root, backup, rom, etc).

Aerogriff

Reaction score
As far as a case goes I use the Otterbox Defender case. Greatest case I've ever used, also used it on my iPhone 3G then 4. I rooted my X with Z4root, took no time and was very easy.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mikex

Reaction score
I use an anti glare screen protector (cause my fingers slide around better without sticking) but no case. Still looks new.

debrad0307

Reaction score
I had a case on mine... a hard rubberized case and a soft case. I took them off and now have nothing on my x. It makes it easier for me to hold my phone and typing is so much easier. I take care of my phones so I'm not worried about scratches or anything like that. I have a screen protector purchased from amazon.com that covers the whole screen. A must have for any touch screen phone IMO.

huskur

Reaction score
I had a case on mine... a hard rubberized case and a soft case. I took them off and now have nothing on my x. It makes it easier for me to hold my phone and typing is so much easier. I take care of my phones so I'm not worried about scratches or anything like that. I have a screen protector purchased from amazon.com that covers the whole screen. A must have for any touch screen phone IMO.

Well....i used the same words as you "i take care of my phones". Well, my OG Droid never had a case or screen protector EVER and when i upgraded to the X it was just as the day i bought it. I did however have the X out and was sending a text and it slipped out of my hand and landed on a metal piece of a credenza behind my desk and scraped a small piece of the black rubberized coating next to the ear speaker off. I was so angry. Now, though i have a hard silicone case on it. That being said, anything can happen. I learned my lesson the hard way

nygrich

Reaction score
I have a dx n i used z4 to root just make sure u back everything up. Root took about a minute or two. Vignette is an awesome camera app. The best picture taking of all

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
I just swapped my OD for the X and it is bone stock right now. I had the OD rooted and I guess I need to figure out how to root this one.

bsbabcock

Reaction score
Its a breeze. Check out Roooler's guide on droidxforums. You actually have more experience than I, so you'll have an easy time seeing how simple root/rom is on the dx.
And for those that consider the x snappy now, you'll be astounded once you properly flash a known fast rom like rubix, apex or liberty.

Sent from my RubiX'd silly fast battery sipping Droid X

Last edited: