New Droid X: Rooting questions..

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Davidconard, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Davidconard

Davidconard New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys I'm new here. My names David but you can call me Sweet Lips ;).. My upgrade came around so I thought I would get a newer smart-phone. I used to have the first BB Curve when it came out but then jumped off it for about 3 years. Wow how far we have come in such little time since then. I'm enjoying my phone so far just wish the battery was a little better.

My friend said something about rooting my droid and how I could do so much more with it so I did a little research and found out what it was and now I have a few questions..

1. Will I still be able to use all of the features that come with the phone (EVERYTHING) like the regular market and all of the Verizon stuff?

2. Will this use more battery or less to be running a rooted Droid?

3. Is there something out there for the Droid X with no glitches or inaccessibility?

4. Where would you recommend that I start to root my droid?

I hope someone can open these questions relatively quickly.

Thanks. dancedroid

2. stumbleflyx

stumbleflyx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1st of all I would learn everything about your stock "droid" there is to know bfore you root. Also what is your phone model?

sent from stock dx

3. Davidconard

Davidconard New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure I got most of it down.

It's a Droid X.

4. stumbleflyx

stumbleflyx Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Answers inline. As someone else posted, it's a good idea to spend at least a week or two with your stock phone, so you know how it's supposed to behave. It's important to have a frame of reference so if something gets messed up, you know it's actually broken, and not just a feature you missed.

6. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    +1 for all the advice given so far...and I`ll add just a bit of my own experience...

Root is not required to get "more" out of your phone, it is required to "access" more of your phone...if you follow me.

The Droid X is a powerhouse of a phone straight out of the box, and more than capable of doing everything it was designed to do. The "normal, average" user would never know that there is "more" lurking under the hood, nor would they need to know for the most part.

Gaining "root" allows you to access almost every aspect of the Operating System...and for some that is great, for others, it is a disaster in the making if they dont tread carefully...hence the volleys of "Read and then Read More"...

From a "advanced user" level, I would say the 3 most common reasons to root are:

1) Have the use of Tethering withpout having to pay Verizon additional money for a service pre-built into the phone.

2) The ability to do custom Nandroid type back-ups of the system..this comes into play with the 3rd most common reason to root...

3) Customization...the ability to make your personal device more personal...throwing a new ROM on or adding a new theme pack can change not only the aesthetics of your device, but also add to the overall performance of the device. Having the above back-up means less possibilities of catastrophic pooch-screwing..and if the CPS does occur, you can usually flash a Nandroid and be back up and running in under an hour.

In the end, I would suggest you do like what has been suggested previously...test drive your stock DX for a few weeks and then decide if you really do need to root to enjoy your phone more. If then you decide to go forward, then by all means do so..but make sure you have read and understand all that comes with it, that way you are properly prepared...

7. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    +100!!

DroidForums Junkie!!

8. Davidconard

Davidconard New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what ill probably be doing. Mono has been spreading in my area and I got ****ted on. Ill have awhile to play with it the next few days:)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

9. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hope ya get well soon...Mono suxxurs! :icon_eek:

Also, if ya havent yet, mosey on over into the Droid X sub-forum...a very large wealth of info can be found there...as well as top notch help if ya ever need it!dancedroid

10. blueis300

blueis300 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just screwed my phone trying to do a ,sbf. Though I had a full battery. Now I have to go find a battery that is full to complete what was started. The .sbf went fine but the rom never finished installed is where the problem lies I hope.