New Droid X Quick Start-Up

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I have been reading this forum for the last month, but I should have been taking notes because I am brand new to droid (coming from storm 1)... and my brain is mush.
Now that I have finally received my X could you guys give me a few pointers for a complete newbie?
thank you!

This is what I can remember:
1. battery in performance mode for faster speed
2. turn off GPS when not using it until fix comes (turning wifi off is debatable)
3. save myself a large headache and don't install anything that says "Facebook"
4. K9 is good for email, especially if you have a mobile me account
5. PDAnet is good for tethering
6. getting a screen protector is debatable
7. having insurance is a lot less debatable

heycow

Reaction score
Honestly IMHO:

1) Leave it set at the default. It'll be plenty fast and will give you more battery life.
2) Leave it. It'll be turned off when an app doesn't need it.
3) Why? I use the Facebook app many times a day (blocked at work) and it works great (well, not great but much better since the latest update).
6) Agree. I just took mine off. The naked screen looks so much clearer and I just try not to keep keys or a handful of screws in the pocket with my phone.
7) Can't hurt...depends on the price but the number of times I've dropped phones paying $1/month for insurance seems worth it to me.

BTW, the best thing to do is take the phone and sit with it and read the manual. It has some great info in it and will help show you the MAJOR changes between Android and Blackberry.

Mule65

Reaction score
Honestly IMHO:

2) Leave it. It'll be turned off when an app doesn't need it.

There's a bug that leaves GPS on even when it says it's off -- so turning off improves battery noticeably.

heycow

Reaction score
Also, are you specifically referring to "Use GPS satelites" or AGPS as well?

cekh

Reaction score
Droid X Insurance

Where were you able to find insurance for $1 a month?

heycow

Reaction score
Sorry, meant Extended Warranty for $1/month. :) Asurion is $6/month.

Mule65

Reaction score
Does it show up in Battery Use or is it hidden?

Here's a thread. Referring to "Use GPS satellites" selected. Turning it off after use will save battery life -- it has for me any many others. Hopefully a fix is coming. Not sure about AGPS.

heycow

Reaction score
Does it show up in Battery Use or is it hidden?

Here's a thread. Referring to "Use GPS satellites" selected. Turning it off after use will save battery life -- it has for me any many others. Hopefully a fix is coming. Not sure about AGPS.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll try it out and see if it makes a difference for me.

OP
Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Update from the OP

OK, so I tried to take the easy way out and ask you guys for a cheat sheet for new Droid users...but I really didn't have any takers, so I just explored forever!
I'm a regular user. I will mostly use this phone for: email, browsing, travel stuff (maps, nav, restaurant reviews, etc), but I want it to be able to do anything I ask of it.
This is my cheat sheet based on my research on this forum and online. Some are apps that have made my transition to droid easier and some are tips for the X that people have figured out.

1. Launcher Pro: I love this app! It makes transitioning to a droid easy, particularly bc I don't have a ton of apps that I need access to at any moment.
2. Advanced Task Killer: I know there is debate about whether you need it or not, but all of the random Verizon stuff running in the background was bothering me.
3. PDANet free version: I got it to set up with my macbook in minutes (well once I read the 4 step directions on their website). This is going to be great for trips. It already works great!
4. I started with my phone batter on performance mode, but have since switched it to power saver and put in some "off peak" hours....I personally feel it is running just as fast on power saver.
5. As everyone knows by now, manually turn GPS off when you are not using it until the bug is fixed. According to smart people on this forum, GPS continually runs once you have used an app using GPS, and prevents the phone from sleeping. WiFi may or may not do the same if it is left on.
6. Browser: I decided on Dolphin HD bc it is easy to use, looks cool, has neat features like pinch zoom, and some* feel it is one of the fastest available. People online seem to be very passionate when it comes to their browser and think theirs is the bees knees (skyfire and opera and stock were the other favorites).
7. Restaurant reviews: Yelp vs Urbanspoon: Many sites list Yelp as "1 of 30 apps you have to have!," but I did a little bit of research and it seems like Urbanspoon is both more objective when it comes to reviews and less intrusive when it comes to selling your information and soul.
8. Email: K9 mail seemed to be a fan favorite everywhere!: I have multiple accounts (hotmail, GMail, and mobile me) and K9 was very easy to set up w/o having to add any other info. The one thing I didn't like is that there wasn't an option to change ALL of the account settings at once (how often to get email). And I still haven't figured out all of the lingo in the settings (poll, 1st class folders), and I'm not sure it is sync'd with my email online (so that all lists look the same if someone online deletes on an email).
9. WeatherChannel seemed to get much better reviews than AccuWeather
10. Sports: I read of others that might be better, but I went with good ol' ESPN, if you have a lot of favorite teams or hate ESPN, then there are others that are supposed to be better, but ESPN seems just fine to me and my teams.
11. Other travel/ entertainment apps: Google Places Directory gives reviews of places and tells you what is around you. Flixster for movies seems to be the favorite, and it has reviews from RottenTomatoes as well as upcoming DVD releases. IMDB bc it seems like I am always trying to remember what movie so-and-so was in.
12. Shopping: Shopsavvy: Apparently I am saving the best for last bc people rave about this app. Barcode scanner, price comparison, and reviews of products. I like a good deal and love reviews, so I hope this lives up to its reputation!

I know this is long, but I am a complete newbie to Droid, and I thought my thoughts and research might be as helpful to someone else as this forum has been to me!

zonaRSX

Reaction score
OK, so I tried to take the easy way out and ask you guys for a cheat sheet for new Droid users...but I really didn't have any takers, so I just explored forever!
I'm a regular user. I will mostly use this phone for: email, browsing, travel stuff (maps, nav, restaurant reviews, etc), but I want it to be able to do anything I ask of it.
This is my cheat sheet based on my research on this forum and online. Some are apps that have made my transition to droid easier and some are tips for the X that people have figured out.

1. Launcher Pro: I love this app! It makes transitioning to a droid easy, particularly bc I don't have a ton of apps that I need access to at any moment.
2. Advanced Task Killer: I know there is debate about whether you need it or not, but all of the random Verizon stuff running in the background was bothering me.
3. PDANet free version: I got it to set up with my macbook in minutes (well once I read the 4 step directions on their website). This is going to be great for trips. It already works great!
4. I started with my phone batter on performance mode, but have since switched it to power saver and put in some "off peak" hours....I personally feel it is running just as fast on power saver.
5. As everyone knows by now, manually turn GPS off when you are not using it until the bug is fixed. According to smart people on this forum, GPS continually runs once you have used an app using GPS, and prevents the phone from sleeping. WiFi may or may not do the same if it is left on.
6. Browser: I decided on Dolphin HD bc it is easy to use, looks cool, has neat features like pinch zoom, and some* feel it is one of the fastest available. People online seem to be very passionate when it comes to their browser and think theirs is the bees knees (skyfire and opera and stock were the other favorites).
7. Restaurant reviews: Yelp vs Urbanspoon: Many sites list Yelp as "1 of 30 apps you have to have!," but I did a little bit of research and it seems like Urbanspoon is both more objective when it comes to reviews and less intrusive when it comes to selling your information and soul.
8. Email: K9 mail seemed to be a fan favorite everywhere!: I have multiple accounts (hotmail, GMail, and mobile me) and K9 was very easy to set up w/o having to add any other info. The one thing I didn't like is that there wasn't an option to change ALL of the account settings at once (how often to get email). And I still haven't figured out all of the lingo in the settings (poll, 1st class folders), and I'm not sure it is sync'd with my email online (so that all lists look the same if someone online deletes on an email).
9. WeatherChannel seemed to get much better reviews than AccuWeather
10. Sports: I read of others that might be better, but I went with good ol' ESPN, if you have a lot of favorite teams or hate ESPN, then there are others that are supposed to be better, but ESPN seems just fine to me and my teams.
11. Other travel/ entertainment apps: Google Places Directory gives reviews of places and tells you what is around you. Flixster for movies seems to be the favorite, and it has reviews from RottenTomatoes as well as upcoming DVD releases. IMDB bc it seems like I am always trying to remember what movie so-and-so was in.
12. Shopping: Shopsavvy: Apparently I am saving the best for last bc people rave about this app. Barcode scanner, price comparison, and reviews of products. I like a good deal and love reviews, so I hope this lives up to its reputation!

I know this is long, but I am a complete newbie to Droid, and I thought my thoughts and research might be as helpful to someone else as this forum has been to me!

great info! i found this useful as i am new to the droid x as well