New DROID X mixed boot animation, with sound.

rcjames

Reaction score
how do you install this onto the phone?

Well you place that zip in ur microsd, then you unplug the usb then on you're phone you browse with root explorer to system/media then on bootanimation.zip rename it to bootanimation.bak then browse to ur sd select and hold then copy and paste to system/media then reboot. Pretty easy. Now i would like this full bootanimation from this guy on this forum with sound. That be cool. :)

bryancotton84

Reaction score

Well you place that zip in ur microsd, then you unplug the usb then on you're phone you browse with root explorer to system/media then on bootanimation.zip rename it to bootanimation.bak then browse to ur sd select and hold then copy and paste to system/media then reboot. Pretty easy. Now i would like this full bootanimation from this guy on this forum with sound. That be cool. :)

I dont have a bootanimation.zip in my system/media folder, theres just several different folders none with bootanimation.zip

rcjames

Reaction score

I dont have a bootanimation.zip in my system/media folder, theres just several different folders none with bootanimation.zip

That because i have a rom. But go ahead paste from the sd card in there in system/media folder.

bryancotton84

Reaction score

That because i have a rom. But go ahead paste from the sd card in there in system/media folder.

doesnt need to be unzipped at any point?

rcjames

Reaction score

Daali

Reaction score
High level view is this:

• the bootanimation.zip should go to /data/local [ there is one in /system/media on the X, it is the default. The X looks at /data/local first, then /system/media ]

• the modified executable bootanimation that enables sound (no .zip, as it is an executable) goes into /system/bin. You need to rename your original /system/bin/bootanimation to /system/bootanimation2 or something you can remember.
  • The sound file listed in your bootanimation.zip's desc.txt goes into /system/media even though your animation is located in /data/local.

Here is my boot taken with my crapberry =) The boot logo is this , the R2D2 animation is stock R2D2 Droid 2 Animation, the sound is a mashup I made of Obi-Wan, R2D2, and the Drooooid sound.

[video=youtube;e4vdmhDJ4TA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4vdmhDJ4TA[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
For all with questions, the megaupload link needs to be un zipped.
In that .zip is the actual bootanimation.zip that needs to go into /system/media.
There is also an android.mp3 that has to go into /system/media/
there is also a very small bootanimation file that needs to go into /system/bin/ . This file is the one that was described in the First post, in that quote.

scottd21

Reaction score
I have a question on all this. If I just wanted to change the sound not the default boot image of the eye what do I have to do. I wanted to just have a sound going while the phone is booting up.

Thanks

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
I have a question on all this. If I just wanted to change the sound not the default boot image of the eye what do I have to do. I wanted to just have a sound going while the phone is booting up.

Thanks

Before anything, Make a Backup.

Ok, you would have to change the system/bin/ file i included in the zip.

You would also need to pull the default animation out of system/media/

You would then unzip it, open up the desc.txt
you will see
480 480 30 (your numbers may be different)
p0 0 part0 (or something like that)
p1 1 part1 (or something)

to add sound, you will insert this"
s (name of file).mp3

If you place it under the first p0 0 line, it will play at the beginning, but get cut off at the end of the first folder, which is only the droid word, and a part of the eye.

If you place it at the end then it will start the sound halfway, and i dont know if it will loop or not.

once you finish adding the code in, save the file. Now select the desc.txt, part0, and part1 from wherever you extracted them. zip them up **IN STORE COMPRESSION** name it "bootanimation.zip"
Push the newly zipped folder with the update back to system/media/

now choose your sound file be sure its named what you place in the desc.txt, and place it into system/media/.
Reboot, and if everything is right, you should have a sound.

Last edited:

scottd21

Reaction score
can I do the pulling of the file and putting it back with root explorer or do I need to use ADB shell

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
root explorer will work, just dont boot phone without replacing the new bootanimation file in system/bin/ I dont know if that would be bad, but i always assume it will be

scottd21

Reaction score

Thanks

Before anything, Make a Backup.

Ok, you would have to change the system/bin/ file i included in the zip.

You would also need to pull the default animation out of system/media/

You would then unzip it, open up the desc.txt
you will see
480 480 30 (your numbers may be different)
p0 0 part0 (or something like that)
p1 1 part1 (or something)

to add sound, you will insert this"
s (name of file).mp3

If you place it under the first p0 0 line, it will play at the beginning, but get cut off at the end of the first folder, which is only the droid word, and a part of the eye.

If you place it at the end then it will start the sound halfway, and i dont know if it will loop or not.

once you finish adding the code in, save the file. Now select the desc.txt, part0, and part1 from wherever you extracted them. zip them up **IN STORE COMPRESSION** name it "bootanimation.zip"
Push the newly zipped folder with the update back to system/media/

now choose your sound file be sure its named what you place in the desc.txt, and place it into system/media/.
Reboot, and if everything is right, you should have a sound.

When you say "Ok, you would have to change the system/bin/ file i included in the zip." what do I have to change? Do I rename it to .bak and use the bootanimation file from yours or change something else?

thanks

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
When you say "Ok, you would have to change the system/bin/ file i included in the zip." what do I have to change? Do I rename it to .bak and use the bootanimation file from yours or change something else?

thanks

You can take the old one in system/bin/, and rename it bootanimation2 and leave it there, incase you ever want to go back to stock.

Just place the new small bootanimation file in system/bin/ after renaming, or removing if you want.

rcjames

Reaction score
For all with questions, the megaupload link needs to be un zipped.
In that .zip is the actual bootanimation.zip that needs to go into /system/media.
There is also an android.mp3 that has to go into /system/media/
there is also a very small bootanimation file that needs to go into /system/bin/ . This file is the one that was described in the First post, in that quote.

No need to extract a zip leave the file alone it just make live easier place it in /system/media