New Droid X Has Speed Bumps

Joshgt2

Reaction score
I have had my Droid X for about 3-4 weeks at this point and I have been having a multiple number of problems with it. I have never had a Droid phone/smart phone until now, but I have a very good understanding of technology. I simply never needed a phone like this until now. I'll list my issues below. As a note, things like Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth are enabled and disabled based upon when I'm using them. If I'm not using them, then I disable them via one of the convenient widgets.

1) For data such as going online, watching YouTube videos, and anything else involving the "internet" I use the 3G perfectly fine, but recently when I enable my Wi-Fi I will lose all internet connections. It will say that I am connected to the network and obtain an IP address like it normally would, but I will NOT be able to use the Wi-Fi and get increased internet speeds until I turn it off. This worked fine up until about 2 days ago I noticed that this was happening.

2) GPS will sometimes freeze when I need to begin navigating to a destination. I will turn my GPS on about 5-10 minutes before I even begin looking into Google Maps for the address, and it will sometimes freeze at "Looking for your location". I will have to turn off my phone and reboot in order for this to go away. This is about a 50/50 chance on this happening

3) Finally, this one just began happening recently as well. I can be cruising along doing everything fine on my phone, and then it will suddenly turn as slow as mollasas. I don't know what as far as program might be disrupting the processing as I have only downloaded a handful of things that really I can't imagine are doing anything 'bad' to my device.

My question is, I know that the OS of Android is NOT meant to have application closing in the background, but honestly do things like Facebook, Browser, & Twiiter NEED to be running once they are closed. I mean, I know that this OS is designed differently, but I can't see that it is worth it from a MEMORY and PROCESSOR point of view. I am not looking to save battery life from this.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not sure how to help with 1 & 2. For 3 though, do you have any task managers or anti-viruses installed on your phone? They tend to slow the phone down as well as make it act buggy.

To answer your question, no they do not NEED to be running. However because of how the android OS is built it will close things as it needs the memory. Its not like a desktop OS in that free memory is good. In fact, free memory is bad for your phone. It is better to have it loaded but not being used because then it 1) wont waste time reloading it into active memory and 2) will load faster when you actually go to use it.

MMASUPAFAN

Reaction score
I came from blackberry and the storm had to be rebooted (battery pulled) once a day...I know the droid x doesn't have to be but I turn it off once every mourning and I have never experienced lag....that may help

OP
J

Joshgt2

Reaction score
Alright. It seems like I simply need to restart my phone every morning and see how it works. Now, go figure that I have yet to have these issues since I posted something too.... Hahaha

Thank you

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DroidXJay1976

Reaction score
I have been having the lag problem as well. I do have both an antivirus and task manager loaded. The problems seems to happen when yahoo IM is running. It starts to freeze and the only way to get it back to normal is to get into my task manager and kill EVERYTHING! Of couse most of the system programs start right back up. I notice that it really bogs down when the memory gets around 50. Seems to me that this phone should be able to cruise through like nothing. Something else I have noticed is the I will have multiple instances of the same app running, such as com.weather.weather. I will have 4 or 5 of this running when I check my task manager. What is up with that? And of course the longer it runs the more and more seem to pile up. Any help or suggestions are greatfully accepted! Thanks!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Uninstall both of them..... 1) not needed 2) they make your phonr run even worse. For the tk, the one that is included in the android os is better than any one on the market. Also, the os is not like a desktop os where free memory is good. Search for a thread "googles answer to task killers", it does a much better job of explaining it than I do. For anti-virus, read through the first thread in my signature.

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

MMASUPAFAN

Reaction score
Try turning off little more often...after u get rid of task killer that is because it does more harm then good, don't think u need the anti virus either...les u download apps that aren't in the market....

DroidXJay1976

Reaction score
I unistalled them both and will see what happens. Thanks.

DroidXJay1976

Reaction score
So far so good. I am surprised that running all that stuff in the background isn't the culprit for the slowdown, but I have had everything up and running for a couple hours now and no lag. Thanks guys! Well see what happens tomorrow after a night of running.