New Droid user, question on Gmail via Google Apps

mischka

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a google apps small business user and my email is through my domain on google apps. My iPhone is set up through Exchange, so the calendar, contacts and email are synced with google apps.

That said, I'm sick of ATT's lack of service and I'm trying out the Droid. Now I'm not sure if this is because I'm new to the Droid or if it's working-as-intended, but the email sync takes much longer than on the iPhone.

With the iPhone set up via Exchange, I receive emails on the phone nearly as quickly as I received it on my Blackberry; it hit Outlook maybe a half second before it hit my iPhone. However, on the Droid, I probably receive the email about 30-60 seconds after it hits Outlook. What's worse is that when I'm actually in the Mail application on the Droid, new mail does not show up until I hit refresh (I tested that twice for 5 minutes each).

I've searched for a solution, but nothing has come up. Apparently the Exchange ability on the Droid is not the same as that on the iPhone, and it appears Google wants App users to access their accounts via the standard google account.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Or is this just how it is with the Droid?

Thanks!

mrschmitz

Reaction score
I use a Google Apps account with my own domain (very successfully) with my Droid, and have been from the beginning (Droid launch day). If you can just use it as a Google account instead of via exchange you'd be MUCH better off.

Unless I'm not understanding what you are doing...

OP
M

mischka

Reaction score
Thanks mrschmitz.

I'm not going through Exchange with the Droid; it's currently set up as a Google account. I'll keep at it and see how it goes, I did just get the phone today after all. But the most annoying problem is not having mail show up while I'm in the mail app.

mrschmitz

Reaction score
That may be by design. What if you are about to press a message to read it, but bam!, another message comes in and moves the one you were going to click down? Just a thought...

Darien490

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to bump an old thread, but my problem applies to this topic.

I performed a factory reset on my phone and can no longer get my Google Apps gmail account to work. What's strange about this is that it did work before the reset. Any ideas on what I can do?

I figured I should add:

My Google Apps account ends in .edu because it's through my school. Also, I don't have a normal gmail account. The Google Apps one is my only gmail account.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not going through Exchange with the Droid; it's currently set up as a Google account.
Sounds like you're comparing apples to oranges then. Try setting it up with ActiveSync. You should get the same results as the iPhone (which also uses ActiveSync for Exchange).

Apparently the Exchange ability on the Droid is not the same as that on the iPhone, and it appears Google wants App users to access their accounts via the standard google account.
The devices' capabilities are the same in this context. The difference is software. You just need to consider that the gmail app doesn't support ActiveSync or Exchange. You'd need to use another app that does support it and then properly configure the app. You can use the very same settings that the iPhone uses once you have the right app. Your stock email app (not the gmail app) may support ActiveSync though it's also possible that it may not offer all the feature you want/need.

What's worse is that when I'm actually in the Mail application on the Droid, new mail does not show up until I hit refresh (I tested that twice for 5 minutes each).
gmail should push though. Not sure why it isn't in your case. You might want to verify that it's properly configured and that sync is enabled.

Last edited: