New Droid - Top 10 things I need to do?

LMac8806

Reaction score
I just bought a Droid on Wednesday, and I'm loving it already (up until now I have never even had a phone that could access the internet lol). What are some things you consider a must when getting my new Droid set up? I have heard a power saver widget is a must (I have one now), and that Advanced Task Killer is a great app to have. Anything else you consider a must-have? Apps, widgets, setting, etc? Thanks!

jimnutt

Reaction score
Don't put a task killer on the phone (at least not yet and especially not an automatic one), you don't really need it unless an app gets out of control and you can kill those from the settings menu.
The power saving widget is good, but in general don't worry about turning GPS or wifi on and off all the time to save power. The GPS only comes on when an app needs it, so it's not a huge power drain unless your running something like maps in foreground. If you're wandering around and don't have a fixed wifi connection, leave it turned off, but at home it will actually save battery to use wifi instead of 3g (or at least be a wash).
Get the BatteryLeft widget and the xScope browser. BatteryLeft will tell you, after it has learned your usage patterns, when your battery is going to say goodbye (of course, Murphy can tell you that too... the worst possible time :)). xScope is a fast web browser with multitouch and a built in file and task manager.
If your email comes from somewhere other than gmail, I recommend two options 1) Have gmail pick up the mail from your other accounts (this is what I do) and present it in your gmail account or 2) The K-9 mail client is highly recommended over the stock email client.
Finally, explore the market, there's a lot of good stuff out there. Fun stuff, like the tricorder app and a bajillion games, Wow! stuff like like google earth and google sky map and just practical stuff like Evernote.
Oh, and don't worry about rooting the phone or overclocking or any of that stuff just yet. Get comfortable with the phone, learn what it can do (play with it!) and most importantly have fun!

nerdbox08

Reaction score
There was one of these threads about a week ago and I have to repeat the must have:

Drop the phone on the floor so you can stop carrying it around as it's a newborn baby, lol

OP
L

LMac8806

Reaction score
There was one of these threads about a week ago and I have to repeat the must have:

Drop the phone on the floor so you can stop carrying it around as it's a newborn baby, lol

I can just look that thread up if it would be better. I'd hate to have everyone answer the same question twice.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Oh I was just giving my suggestion.

Lol. You can look it up, but sometimes apps go broken or change focus.... While most are usually okay there are anomalies.

I suggest leaving this up and see who responds and look up the other threads.

I don't give many other suggestions because people vary do much, but if I were to give some suggestions these would be it:

Get a travel charger or second barttery. Get a case. Use a screen protector regardless of the fact the droid has gorilla glass. Get the car mount, you could combine the car mount and case with a verizon setup. Get a home cradle and extended power cord. And as I said, drop it lol

I baby my droid but once I dropped it on the flour and realized it's pretty tough I stopped freaking out as much.

:p

OP
L

LMac8806

Reaction score
I'm trying, and I can't make myself purposefully drop it lol. It'll happen sooner rather than later, I'm sure. Any suggestions on a case/screen protector? Is there anything like an Otterbox for Droid?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

I've never dropped mine (prolly just jinxed myself) but after a month the newness wore off and so did the handling with kid gloves.

Ok back on topic.
Get yourself Astro File Manager. In a nutshell it is windows explorer for Android.

Where and Placer Directory are great for finding pretty much anything based on your location.

Barcode Scanner or Shop Savvy are great to have for price comparison. They use your camera for scanning UPC labels.

Missed Call for notifications.

That should get you started.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Um...i use the verizon screen protectors and a lot of people enjoy them. Others like the Zagg screens. There are some posts on it.

I've only had one case and I broke it. It was one if the simple plastic ones from verizon. I need to actually look into this myself

GarrMatey

Reaction score
Case

Ghost Armor. Picked it up at the mall, had them install it, lifetime warranty. No need for a big ol bulky case. I LOVE my ghost armor!

Originally I had the body glove case, but I had to remove it every time I wanted to dock the phone. That's not cool. Eventually a piece broke off and now it's useless.