New DROID RAZR HD MAXX - Audio skips/stutters all the time?

npike

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new RAZR HD MAXX (off contract) which has Android 4.1.2. Everything is great - except audio from Google Music (or a podcast app) frequently skips/stutters.

Typically its when playback starts for about the first minute, but frequently has small skips through out the duration of playback. Doesn't seem to matter if I am playing the audio to a bluetooth device or using the stereo line-out.

Has anyone had this problem? Any tips to resolve it?

Would hate to have to go through the return/exchange process with VZW :mad:

Thanks in advance.

djspy

Reaction score
The same thing happens on my phone. Don't know what causes the problem. Try asking over at the Motorola support forums.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I use Google Play music all the time with no issues what so ever. I only play music that I have downloaded to my phone...no streaming. I use the iSyncr app to download my iTunes music stored on my MacBook Pro. If I stream music or podcasts I use the TuneIn Radio app.

3L1

Reaction score
That skipping crap was pissing me off so when it happened I'd look at the running services and it always seemed like all the Amazon apps were auto-starting themselves and causing the interference. Anyway, I uninstalled and/or disabled every dumb-ass Amazon app (plus finally dumped score mobile which would never shut off either and uses that sticky-broadcast bull****)...and the problem went away. I used to buy music and electronics all the time with the Amazon apps...but my phone works so much better now, I don't even miss stupid Amazon (or score mobile). Good luck.

Sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk II

Reaction score
My non maxx HD does the same thing. Its so bad that I just ended up using the USB ports in my cars again.

smfoley1

Reaction score
Bluetooth audio stutter is a known problem in some devices/versions of Android. See Issue 39632 - android - Bluetooth sound quality suffer after upgrade to 4.2 with Galaxy Nexus - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

It is for that reason my Nexus 7 is still on Android 4.1.x and not upgraded to 4.2.x

I have the Razr HD. I have the same problem with the sound "skipping/dropping out" It doesnt matter if Im streaming music on Sirius or the Play App. It doesnt matter if I am using wired headphones or using a blue tooth connection. The problem is present in all situations. I have had the phone replaced 2 times and all 3 of them have had this issue

PowrDroid

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new RAZR HD MAXX (off contract) which has Android 4.1.2. Everything is great - except audio from Google Music (or a podcast app) frequently skips/stutters.

Typically its when playback starts for about the first minute, but frequently has small skips through out the duration of playback. Doesn't seem to matter if I am playing the audio to a bluetooth device or using the stereo line-out.

Thanks in advance.

Are you certain it is skipping? I ask because I had a similar problem which I thought was skipping but upon further analysis I figured out it was really the volume being rapidly muted and then restored. In other words the song plays at normal speed but the volume drops to zero for perhaps 1/4 second or less.

Anyway, I tried a bunch of stuff with no success until I did a simulated battery pull and now it's worked fine ever since.

I just noticed this thread is somewhat old, oh well, maybe my response will help someone.

nepkp

Reaction score
RMHD Skipping like crazy when using Google play music. Hard reset no help, replacement phone no help, either... I am getting sick of it! Update no help.

I hope that they fix it before my contract expires, I have been feeling like a beta tester since I got the phone.

Google and Motorola and Android can't stream audio? Industrial sabotage, I guess.

Let me know if you can really make it stop skipping.

jab883

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I've had this same problem (specifically with Google Music and TuneIn Radio). I read everyone's suggestions today and one of them worked. I went to settings, apps, scrolled over to "all", then I located EVERY Amazon app. I clicked on "Uninstall updates" and said ok, then I went back to the app and now the button says disable, and I disabled it. I did this for Amazon (there were two apps called Amazon - make sure you are looking at the "all" apps list, because one of the Amazon apps will not show up in the "downloaded" list), Amazon Kindle, and Amazon MP3. Powered off and powered on my phone...and now my music never skips! It sounds soooooooooo much better!

Last edited:

killer428

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Nexus 6
Twitter
04Mystichrome
Your right , I did the same with all the Amazon apps and my music no longer skips. Thanks , 3L1

Sent from RAZR Maxx HD while driving my SVT Cobra.

Last edited:

3L1

Reaction score
You're welcome killer428. I've made another discovery since then...the galaxy note 3 is my latest phone (which happens to be the best phone I've ever held in my hand). The n3 plays music via bluetooth without skipping, while any and all apps run in the background, foreground, any-ground, etc. I stayed true to Motorola phones for years but I am now a believer in all things Samsung. Have fun driving that SVT the way it was made to be driven!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

killer428

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Nexus 6
Twitter
04Mystichrome
I love driving the 2003 Terminator and I may be picking up the Note 3 in June.

Sent from RAZR Maxx HD while driving my SVT Cobra.