new droid owner what next?

jdail84

Reaction score
i just got my droid yesterday and it came with 2.1 i've been reading threads all day and it seems everyone is either staying with 2.1, or going back to 2.0.1 why is this? and being new to the phone should i root it also know that im not completely skilled in hacking ive only hacked a nintendo ds to play ds roms for free i was looking at this one.

[ROM.tgz] Smoked Glass v6.0 *03/15* (Android 2.1 - ESE53)

i guess basically what im getting at is what do you suggest i do?

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
dude, thats exactly the one i have and its sick, i can post the file, or send you it. but as soon as someone answers the question about screenshots that i posted earlier, i will show you how awesome that ROM is.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forums!

I suggest you set aside some time, because your Droid is going to consume you! :)

As far as rooting, do some reading in the Hacks section as to what rooting is, how to do it, and what it entails. It's basically a bunch of small things to do (that can seem overwhelming as a whole). There are plenty of helpful people in the forums.... and our very own Rescue Squad :)

Good luck and Enjoy!

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
to answer your other question/s you should root, because that opens up a whole new horizon of apps and ROMs you can install. SetCPU being the most sought after in my opinion.

Candice

Reaction score
i just got my droid yesterday and it came with 2.1 i've been reading threads all day and it seems everyone is either staying with 2.1, or going back to 2.0.1 why is this? and being new to the phone should i root it also know that im not completely skilled in hacking ive only hacked a nintendo ds to play ds roms for free i was looking at this one.

Well, first of all, welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Droid. (yes, it's really like having a baby. lol) This forum is UBER helpful, and nearly every question you have has an answer and 99.9% of the people here are really nice and helpful.

Secondly, and most importantly, don't root until you've read everything and feel comfortable doing it. If you mess something up, you could brick your new phone (you probably already know that.) There are TONS of threads on rooting in the forum, I suggest you read those before you make your decision.

The reason some are going back to 2.0.1 is because that's the only way to root your phone. As far as I know, you can't root 2.1, at least not yet.

There's a TON you can do with your phone without rooting. I haven't done it, and I'm STILL learning new things all the time. Even after nearly 3 months. It's an amazing piece of technology.

:)

OP
J

jdail84

Reaction score
thanks for the input and ya ive noticed everyone here is awesome like i said i havent really messed to much with phone ive just been reading forum posts and such to get an idea of what its capable of and what im capable of with it

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well, first of all, welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Droid. (yes, it's really like having a baby. lol) This forum is UBER helpful, and nearly every question you have has an answer and 99.9% of the people here are really nice and helpful.

Secondly, and most importantly, don't root until you've read everything and feel comfortable doing it. If you mess something up, you could brick your new phone (you probably already know that.) There are TONS of threads on rooting in the forum, I suggest you read those before you make your decision.

The reason some are going back to 2.0.1 is because that's the only way to root your phone. As far as I know, you can't root 2.1, at least not yet.

There's a TON you can do with your phone without rooting. I haven't done it, and I'm STILL learning new things all the time. Even after nearly 3 months. It's an amazing piece of technology.

:)
She's got it. The stock device is great by itself.
If you do choose to root, just do some reading here on the forums. While it is easy to mess up during rooting and flashing, it's VERY hard to actually BRICK your phone. There are ways of recovering :)

I'd only root if you want some of the features that rooting offers. If not, just keep it stock and go wild.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Welcome aboard. If you are interested in SG 6.0 read through the first two links in my signature. By the time you are ready to root you may even end up picking a different rom to flash. I will say sg6.0 has treated me just fine, but you also will find others that say that about every rom out there.

As to your question....as others have said...read, take your time and you'll figure out if/when you want to root. Without rooting there are tons of apps you can play with too.

dr01dm0dd3r

Reaction score
yea, i agree with them but check out this screenshot if you do root, which i am not pushing you in any direction, this is a possibility. but like they said the stock droid is pretty good, and so is the rooted version. they both have their own perks and quarks.