New Droid owner- what is the little satellite looking icon in the menu bar?

carriemn

Reaction score
The bar on the top of phone (where it has the time, battery info, connection bars and 3g) I have a little Satellite looking thing with these little flashing bars...what is that?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That would be your wi-fi indicator I believe. It's either that or GPS.

OP
C

carriemn

Reaction score
I have my Wi-fi turned off...
Why would the GPS be running continuously. And it's up there sometimes and other times it's not...

M

Matth3w

I have my Wi-fi turned off...
Why would the GPS be running continuously. And it's up there sometimes and other times it's not...
Depends....if you open a browser sometimes Google uses GPS to check your location for search results. Or if you have a program like Where/Movies/Aloqa/Yelp etc they all use GPS as well.

Some programs don't shut the GPS off like they should.

zakany

Reaction score
I have a little Satellite looking thing with these little flashing bars...what is that?

That's your personal satellite. Every Droid owner gets his or her own satellite. That's why they cost so much.

Zargon

Reaction score
I have a little Satellite looking thing with these little flashing bars...what is that?

That's your personal satellite. Every Droid owner gets his or her own satellite. That's why they cost so much.

Can I turn it off? Or...?

Yes, you can turn it off.

Settings > Location & security > Use GPS satellites.

Or you can add the Power Control widget to one of your home screens and turn it off/on with one touch.

OP
C

carriemn

Reaction score

Or you can add the Power Control widget to one of your home screens and turn it off/on with one touch.

Thanks!
Now...power control Widget, is this the same as an app? I looked in the market and could not find it...

Zargon

Reaction score

Thanks!
Now...power control Widget, is this the same as an app? I looked in the market and could not find it...

Go to an empty area of your home screen, long press on the empty area, select widgets, a list of available widgets will pop up.