New Droid owner missing gmail contacts

JoeM

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new Droid owner with problems both getting Contacts to function and finding information on the default Contacts app. I cannot find anything other than superficial information on the Google site and they do not answer queries. Ugh!:mad:

I use a contact manager on my PC and sync software to sync that contact database with contacts in a gmail account. That seems to work and both show 1723 contacts. This then automatically synced contacts with my Droid, but only ended up with 1611 contacts on the Droid. I wiped gmail and the Droid and reloaded. Same missing contacts. Any idea what is happening? Which forum here should I discuss this?

My guess is that the Android Contacts app is not compatible with gmail contacts. For some reason contacts are defined differently in each, but I cannot find out any detailed information about what info should be attached to a contact or why they would be treated differently on each platform. They appear to be minimally documented. Where is there detailed documentation on the Contacts App?

I believe that multiple gmail contacts are being merged in the Android contacts and some information is being discarded. It is difficult to persue this without informaton.

I am new to Android and smartphones, but am familiar with Palm devices, computers, and data syncing. Any help is appreciated.

Joe M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new Droid owner with problems both getting Contacts to function and finding information on the default Contacts app. I cannot find anything other than superficial information on the Google site and they do not answer queries. Ugh!:mad:

I use a contact manager on my PC and sync software to sync that contact database with contacts in a gmail account. That seems to work and both show 1723 contacts. This then automatically synced contacts with my Droid, but only ended up with 1611 contacts on the Droid. I wiped gmail and the Droid and reloaded. Same missing contacts. Any idea what is happening? Which forum here should I discuss this?

My guess is that the Android Contacts app is not compatible with gmail contacts. For some reason contacts are defined differently in each, but I cannot find out any detailed information about what info should be attached to a contact or why they would be treated differently on each platform. They appear to be minimally documented. Where is there detailed documentation on the Contacts App?

I believe that multiple gmail contacts are being merged in the Android contacts and some information is being discarded. It is difficult to persue this without informaton.

I am new to Android and smartphones, but am familiar with Palm devices, computers, and data syncing. Any help is appreciated.

Joe M

First :welcome: to the forum. We are glad to have you here!

As far as the contact go. I exorted all of my contacts from outlook via a .csv file the uploaded it to gmail. That worked perfectly. Then go to settings > accounts and sync> your account and click sync again. See if that fixes it

OP
J

JoeM

Reaction score
First :welcome: to the forum. We are glad to have you here!

As far as the contact go. I exorted all of my contacts from outlook via a .csv file the uploaded it to gmail. That worked perfectly. Then go to settings > accounts and sync> your account and click sync again. See if that fixes it

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately resyncing does not change anything. Whatever the sync is doing, it is doing consistently. It probably thinks it is following the rules. It may be. I can't tell. If people ever wrote the rules down, they hid them well.

Any other ideas?

Joe M