NEW DROID OTA UPDATE ALERT (still 2.1)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If they block .sbf how would a VZW tech reflash the phone now?
maybe a new process, new file. i dont know good pont.

This is starting to sound like a game of Chutes and Ladders. If you are on stock 2.1update2 and want to root you take the advance update pak to 2.2 where you can sbf to 2.1.5 android and from there you can jump ahead to 3.0 and flash the sprecovery that has been hacked in the future. This will allow you to flash back to 2.1update1 and apply that sprecovery that lets you flash any rom you want. To get back to stock you need to flash further back in the past by applying the update.zip to get you to stock 2.01

No wonder Hookbill is done rooting:)

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
If they block .sbf how would a VZW tech reflash the phone now?
maybe a new process, new file. i dont know good pont.

This is starting to sound like a game of Chutes and Ladders. If you are on stock 2.1update2 and want to root you take the advance update pak to 2.2 where you can sbf to 2.1.5 android and from there you can jump ahead to 3.0 and flash the sprecovery that has been hacked in the future. This will allow you to flash back to 2.1update1 and apply that sprecovery that lets you flash any rom you want. To get back to stock you need to flash further back in the past by applying the update.zip to get you to stock 2.01

No wonder Hookbill is done rooting:)
lol. dancedroid

Jett

Reaction score
i'm curious as to why no one can test this. i wouldn't know what i was looking for exactly, but can't you backup everything using titanium backup, install the update, and use clockworkmod (or whatever you use for recovery) to reflash your old ROM if there was any problems?

just my 2 cents i suppose.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
How many of these threads will pop up in the general discussion area tonite? : )

Lets open up a betting pool.....

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
i'm curious as to why no one can test this. i wouldn't know what i was looking for exactly, but can't you backup everything using titanium backup, install the update, and use clockworkmod (or whatever you use for recovery) to reflash your old ROM if there was any problems?

not with updates like this they remove recovery and root.

Nedaroth

Reaction score

Users who have rooted, but are not using SPRecovery should take extreme care, as this update contains a complete /system image, which means that it will not break the way the previous one did; it will simply erase /system and flash a complete image.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
as an FYI if you already have SPRecovery flashed, you can safely accept the update as you did with the ESE81 update.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So, with clockwork or sprecovery you should be all set. Those with totally stock phones will be unable to use RSD lite to flash the current sbf file that replaces boot-recovery with sprecovery?

tktouch12

Reaction score
i should be getting a certified like new phone in the mail this week. will it have the new update on it therefore making it impossible for me to root it?