New Droid - New Questions

Diordna

Reaction score
Guys I got my Droid not even a week ago and the ONLY thing wrong is the battery. It dies real quickly and I always have everything off even the screen and I use ATK every here and there. idk why every time I use ATK a lot of apps are running that I don't use like the Alarm Clock and stuff, why can't they just stay off?! Annoying me!
Also can I make Hancent SMS my default because when someone texts me it always uses the default one, and every time I text someone it lets me choose but I don't want to choose.

I do understand the threads about battery in this forum, I have read them too. But idc about that, so don't tell me that I'm asking questions that have been asked before, idc. I couldn't search for my fixes with the searcher on this site, it's playing hard to get.

I just want to know what the heck is with this battery? 100 - 90% pretty fast I might say.

Also I need more addicting/ real cool apps.
Yes, there are threads on it and I do read them. And I'm going to read them again, just need to wow it up more =]

Love the phone overall, but omg if the battery could last a whole day with everything on I don't think Jesus himself couldn't handle it.

But for now we all should just be like Christians and accept. (lawljoke?)
-I'm agnostic btw.

Thanks!!! ♥

ε>
<3

liquidzoo

Reaction score
For texts received: You can turn off the notifications in the default app and only use handcent. Go into the default app, hit the menu button and go to settings, uncheck notifications. You can get the messages in either handcent or the default app.

When you get the message asking what program you want to use to send a text, there is a checkbox that says "Use this action as the default" or something like that. Check that and click on Handcent and it will be your default from then on. You can still change it in the Manage Applications menu in Settings.

For your battery, I'm not sure. Especially if it's going dead really fast. I do know, however, that the Droid only reports battery levels at 10% intervals.

vearix

Reaction score
Maybe you have a bad battery? Unless I use it heavily my battery lasts almost 2 days without a charge. I have brightness on the lowest setting (unless I go out) and have recently stopped using atk (not really noticing a difference). The drop rate doesnt seem to be the same for me. It'll go from 100-90 in the first 2 hours but won't change for the next 4 (with same amount of use).

ccps

Reaction score
If you don't use wireless then do this. For some reason it helped me. My battery life is fantastic. I easily go the whole day. Even with the GPS on. I have BT and wireless turned off. I read another thread and found this setting that also does something with wifi. settings>location and security> uncheck "use wireless networks". I am only guessing that maybe this looks for wireless networks even if you don't have the wifi turned on.

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
Guys it's probably the same with you but it's ALWAYS the DISPLAY as the highest. By highest I mean like 60% + while the second thing is at 11ish or 8%.
Brightness is down and everything is off.
Btw the wireless thing was already unchecked lol but thanks.

By screen goes off every like 15 seconds it feels like, thats annoying.......

then I have to push power button to bring it to life and then unlock it.

I just need the display to stop killing me here.

J

Johnly

Per Motorola, the battery can take several cycles to break in fully. Come back in a few days and let us know?

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
Per Motorola, the battery can take several cycles to break in fully. Come back in a few days and let us know?

I guess, should I do that thing where I drain my battery until it shuts itself off and then charge it for a long time til it's 100% full?

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Guys it's probably the same with you but it's ALWAYS the DISPLAY as the highest. By highest I mean like 60% + while the second thing is at 11ish or 8%.

Give it a few more days. On mine after about 3 or 4 days the battery really kicked in and drained a ton slower than it did the first few nights. Also it changes to 90 really quick but thats because it has dropped below 100 percent. So as soon as it goes to 99 it is going to say 90%. Also turn your brightness down all the way and if you are sick of the screen going off every 15 sec you can change it to go off 30sec,1min,2min and so on. (this will drain the battery quicker the longer you have it stay on) Its under options. Let us know how it is going in a couple of days. Im going to say your battery is a lot better by then.

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score

Give it a few more days. On mine after about 3 or 4 days the battery really kicked in and drained a ton slower than it did the first few nights. Also it changes to 90 really quick but thats because it has dropped below 100 percent. So as soon as it goes to 99 it is going to say 90%. Also turn your brightness down all the way and if you are sick of the screen going off every 15 sec you can change it to go off 30sec,1min,2min and so on. (this will drain the battery quicker the longer you have it stay on) Its under options. Let us know how it is going in a couple of days. Im going to say your battery is a lot better by then.
Alright thanks :)

And I'll let everyone know how it's going in a few.

Right now I'm draining the battery until it shuts off, then I'll charge it over night to recoup it

shademar

Reaction score
As suggested, many people notice their battery life increasing in the first few days, ect. This could be due to either battery life increasing or sensor calibration becoming more accurate.

The app 'spare parts' can be useful for troubleshooting battery issues and tracking down rogue apps because it allows you to look at 'partial wake' usage, which is different than looking at what is hogging the most power when the phone is awake/on. An app that tries to geolocate every so often and hence keeps the phone out of a battery-saving sleep status while activating power-hungry radios might not draw a ton of power itself, but could impact battery life by disrupting natural battery conservation strategies. (As I understand it...)

Also, rogue apps can be a huge battery drain. The only one I've ever had that affected (seemed to knock my battery life by half) was ironically a battery status widget called BatteryLeft.

Good luck!

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
I guess my battery isn't to to bad, I think??
It lasted for 8 hours and 11 minutes today when at 5% so now it's charging.
I'll look up the "spare parts" app thanks :)

Also that 8 hours was mostly being on the droid, pretty heavy use imo. The Display still holds over half the battery being used though but what can I say, that display is a killer lol