new droid, lots of questions!!!

JMM

Reaction score
first, i hope i am in the right area for this type of questions.
ok. Just got my first smartphone, a droid. I would like to hook it up to a laptop or a computer now and then (i have read they call it tethering), but i have read the phone needs to be 'rooted'. can someone tell me what 'rooting' the phone is? what does it allow the phone to do?

when tethering, will the droid display show on the desktop/laptop monitor?
:icon_eek::unsure:

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
you can tether without rooting with pdanet. thats if u dont want to root

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
First question "what is root?":
To have root access on a linux based system such as android means you have the equivalent access of Administrator on a Windows based computer. You will have unrestricted full access to nearly all aspects of the android system stack.

Second question "why would i want to obtain root access on my phone":
For those of us who would like an extreme level of control over our phone's files, root access is a necessity. Having a rooted phone gives the end user unprecedented control over the phone, enabling them to have limitless possibilities. Essentially unlocking your phone's full potential. With root/superuser access on your phone you would be able to flash modified roms (roms from other devices) , have access to certain functions on "root only" applications (example: wireless tether for root users - ability to tether your phone). The possibilities are endless.

Taken from another post

OP
J

JMM

Reaction score
i thought i read here somewhere that rooting the phone makes it better?

that it give the phone a lot more capability? performance? i don't understand what rooting is

OP
J

JMM

Reaction score
sorry sincity, i had not seen your post. thx

how about tethering? what can i do on a laptop while tethering?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Check out the "hack" forums. All the info you could possibly want about "root" is there. Enjoy!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Tethering is like being towed by another boat when your boat's engine falls off. You are still sitting in your boat but you are now moving through the ocean....because the other "towing" boat is providing the engine.

Tethering would be your laptop NOT having internet access (no wifi in the area) (your engine fell off) so you use the 3G phone service on your phone (the tug boat) to provide internet access to your laptop.

Your phone is just the gateway to the internet and you use your laptop like you normally would if it had an internet connection.

PDAnet for non-rooted phones, wireless tether for rooted phones.

Slider46

Reaction score
first, i hope i am in the right area for this type of questions.
ok. Just got my first smartphone, a droid. I would like to hook it up to a laptop or a computer now and then (i have read they call it tethering), but i have read the phone needs to be 'rooted'. can someone tell me what 'rooting' the phone is? what does it allow the phone to do?

when tethering, will the droid display show on the desktop/laptop monitor?
:icon_eek::unsure:

I don't think you're understanding what tethering does.

Wireless Tethering allows your phone to be used as a wireless access point for your laptop (or desktop with wifi adapter). You basically use your phone's data connection to connect your computer to the internet. Not very practical unless you are somewhere without a wifi connection and need one.

Check this thread about rooting. Read everything carefully.

Check here for more 'hacking' threads

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;DVuV65E5YtQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuV65E5YtQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - How-to: Setup and use tethering (through PDAnet) on the Motorola Droid[/video]

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
oh yes and welcome....the thread mwhartman linked you to has everything you need if u decide to root. Matth3W did a great job with it

OP
J

JMM

Reaction score
ok. I think i understand wireless tethering a little.

it will allow me to gain access to the internet thru the droid. All I do is connect the usb cable from the droid to the laptop thru the usb cable and run pdanet? is there something i need to do on the laptop?