New Droid 2 owner

tdilts

Reaction score
For the past few months I've been running an incomplete Android OS on my HTC Touch Pro II. I finally gave in and bought a real Android phone. I purchased a Droid 2. I really like this phone, but there are a few things I would like to change, and I believe hacking the phone is the only way to do so.
Firstly, I really dislike the constant ad placement all over the place while I'm trying to do something with my phone. I've read a bit about "rooting" the phone, although I haven't done this yet, I'm sure I will figure it out with ease.

I have just one question I hope someone can answer. What is the "best" ROM out there. If it comes down to installing a new ROM, I'd like to hear what other people use, and how they like them.

Thanks Everyone, I will contribute as much as I can in this forum!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you joined us and have a new Droid 2. I have a rooted Droid and am able to remove ad's with a Super User command.

As for the best rom, that is an individual preference. My suggestion try a few and see what works best for your particular phone.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For the past few months I've been running an incomplete Android OS on my HTC Touch Pro II. I finally gave in and bought a real Android phone. I purchased a Droid 2. I really like this phone, but there are a few things I would like to change, and I believe hacking the phone is the only way to do so.
Firstly, I really dislike the constant ad placement all over the place while I'm trying to do something with my phone. I've read a bit about "rooting" the phone, although I haven't done this yet, I'm sure I will figure it out with ease.

I have just one question I hope someone can answer. What is the "best" ROM out there. If it comes down to installing a new ROM, I'd like to hear what other people use, and how they like them.

Thanks Everyone, I will contribute as much as I can in this forum!

First off welcome to the forums!

To answer your question one of my favorite roms is epic, a lot of people have good experiences and the developer is local to the forums and good about keeping his rom up to date with bug fixes. That being said I am rooted and don't currently use a rom, so its really all preference. I would start by rooting and then start familiarizing yourself with roms and how to install them and then try a few out for yourself to see what you like.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
tdilts

tdilts

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! My only goal at this point is to remove those damned ads. I've had my face glued to this forum for about 2 hours now, and I'm just unsure what rooting is all about. I realize this is all about preference, I just want to see all the neat things a rooted phone can do that my phone currently cannot. I'm not afraid to dig in and make changes, I just want to be sure it's worth it.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We can definately help you out with all that stuff. Rooting is basically giving yourself administrative or "super user" permissions.

If all your looking to do is get rid of ads then all you have to do is root and then dl adfree from the marketplace.

OP
tdilts

tdilts

Reaction score
perfect. I will begin the process now. THANKS!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good job contributing to your own answer I like that kind of initiative. One of my favorite things about being rooted is the ability to take screenshots. It helps out a lot here to visualize what i'm talking about. Another favorite is setcpu, great for preserving batt.

Best of luck on rooting, see you on the other side.

OP
tdilts

tdilts

Reaction score
Thank you spaz33g I am rooted, and have removed the ads. I installed Bootstrap, and Rom Manager, and made a backup. This was very easy.

Hopefully this is an easy one.... I've searched with no real luck on a tutorial.
I found, and want to use 928Droid Black Glass X Theme. I don't know how to tell if I need the Odexed, or DeOdexed version, and I can't find out how to install these. I saw something about an update.zip install, but I'm kind of lost on how to accomplish this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you are just rooted and haven't done anything else to the phone then you need odexed I believe. As for instructions, I think there's a tutorial somwhere in the 928 black glass thread but I can't remember. I can't remember if this one works with the update.zip method.