New DROID 2 owner/forum user.

ElShotte

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got my new phone 2 days ago, instantly falling in love with it. Being completely uneducated with it, I've decided to become a member of this forum. I have a strong background in computers, being an IT Tech who's fluent in Windows, OS X, and Linux :)

So this is just an introductary post on my behalf, saying "hi" to all fellow members.

On another note, my girl just got the HTC Incredible, and I realized that not all Android powered devices are packed with the same features. Hers looks way better, and she's got this cool thing on the home screen with the clock and weather, the snow accumulates on the screen and its just really slick, meanwhile, I don't even have a "Personalize" menu, and the status bar is fugly, its white, and I can't change it. I started reading up on everything. I know of rooting, and the ROMS and stuff, but what are they for, what's the benefit of a custom ROM or APKs? I'm a quick learner and I will eventually put together a nice explanatory post for all new users, but now, I am confused myself. Could anyone shed some light on these topics?

Again, hi everybody and thank you for being noob-friendly ;)

Best Regards,
John

IT Technician )( Web Designer )( Web Developer )( DROID 2 Lover

OP
E

ElShotte

Reaction score
Oy. I got the "Introduction" PM as I was writing that post, sorry for misplacing it guys, and I'm reading through that forum ATM.

Cheers.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. A rom is "read only memory" essentially a customization of the performance and functionality of the phone. That is of course a brief explination but we can get more in depth if you'd like. Enjoy your stay and don't hesitate to ask questions.

tappin and a talkin

OP
E

ElShotte

Reaction score
Hey spaz, thanks for your reply. I knew that ROM.stands for and essentially what it does, I just didn't know how it applies to the phone. If possible, please be a little more indepth

OP
E

ElShotte

Reaction score
K I'm still gettin used to this phone, it just posted that without me knowlingy pressing a button

OP
E

ElShotte

Reaction score
And it did it again... anyway, yes please be more in-depth. Also, what would I need to do in order to get more out of this phone? Like I mentioned before, the HTC Incredible just seems to have more customization options including but not restricted to themes. The first thing I would like to change would be the theme, I understand that will include rooting the phone and installing a ROM, could you or anyone clarify this and perhaps point me in the right direction, thanks.

PS - I think the reason the phone posted on its own is because the Submit button is on the bottom left of the screen, I think I might have pressed it by accident cause I was smoking when I was typing and grabbed it completely with my left hand pressing the button.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a Custom ROM to enjoy the things that your girlfriend has in the Incredible. I'Ve got Beautiful Widgets for my clock and weather, I've got a great live wall paper I purchased that makes my D2 perfect.

Customization is totally obtainable with the right apps without a custom ROM. I do recommend rooting, if not for anything else to get apps that you can't have unless you're rooted.

OP
E

ElShotte

Reaction score
Cool dude, thanks for that. Seeing as how rooting seems to be the starting point of doing anything, I will do that shortly. Like I said before, I think installing a custom ROM will be the thing for me because I want to change the theme and have more options which seem to be nonexistent without one.

Anedae

Reaction score
I'm really new to the droid 2 scene here... I've been on a droid x for the last month though so maybe aome insight I've learned will help you out.

Coming back to a stock phone after using a rooted and ROMd DX for the last month really made me see how much better a rom is.

I'm currently running Squidly and it is so much faster than rooted stock. Plus it looks helluva lot better too - the easiest way I've found to root has been z4root. It was in the market, but I didnt see it on there the last time I looked. Try searching this forum or maybe xda-developers for a direct link if you need it.

Another really great rom to watch for is the ultimate droid... its still in beta atm but it'll be out soon and its my opinion it'll blow all the rest away.

The apk files are kinda like exe files, though I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge than me would be able to tell you exactly what they are. I keep a copy of a few certain ones on my SD card since I flash a lot of roms. I keep z4root, and the d2/x bootstrapper all the time

Welcome to the forums and have fun with your new addiction! I know I am
Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know how I lost track of this thread. Anyway let's see if we can't explain more about roms. Basically what it is doing is making changes to the stock os to add things it leaves to be desired. For instance adding a reboot option to the power menu, which is something usefull that the stock rom lacks. Also roms aim to optimize the speed of the phone. A big part of many roms these days is the ability to overclock the cpu, but even without doing so many roms optimize the performance of the phone so they run a little snappier at the stock clock speed. Another large part of the roms for the d2/x is removing all or most of motorola blur to make the phone "vanilla". I run a blurless rom because it leaves the phone a little less weighed down and also I have third party apps that perform all of the basic functions of blur that I use far more than I do the blur apps I.e. social networking. Most if not all roms will "deodex" the phone, which gives more options for themeing. Hope that helps and I'm sorry if I left anything out.

So if you're planning on adding a rom to your phone the first step is deciding which one works for you. I'll post a link to a handy thread in a minute that will give you a better breakdown of the descriptions of each rom. And you've showed up at a good time if you're thinking about roms because options have really opened up recently and several dx roms are in the process of being ported. Let me know if you have any questions.

tappin and a talkin

OP
E

ElShotte

Reaction score
Thank you spaz33g and Anedae for that breakdown. It gave me a good idea of everything. Spaz, whenever you can, please post that link so I can decide which ROM would in fact, work for me. Thanks.

OP
E

ElShotte

Reaction score
Thanks alot dude, I will read up on it right now, I just finished rooting my Droid2...

I followed the Droid2Hacks.com Rooting Guide after running into an issue following the guide in the "Droid 2 hacking/rom install class" thread. All included, it took me about 5 minutes to accomplish, like I mentioned before I am very knowledgeable in a shell environment being responsible for and running multiple linux servers. Hell, the first app I downloaded on my Droid was ConnectBot ;)