New DOZE In Android N Helps You Save Even More Battery!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cte7jRy.jpg

Doze was one of the breakthrough features coming to us through Marshmallow. Doze allows you to save battery life when not using your phone by putting your phone into a deep sleep. Meaning your phone pings the web for notifications less frequently and turns off things you don't need and are not currently using.

The only unfortunate thing about Doze is that it requires your screen to be off and your phone to be stationary. This means that if you have a more active job where you stand or walk a lot you won't be able to truly get the full benefit of this feature. You would need to have your phone sitting still.

The new version of Doze will activate once your phone's screen is off for a certain period of time. This means everyone will be able to benefit from the feature. Grab the new Android and give it a try.

via Android

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm not so sure it's better. My doze used to be flat.

d86b3220689cf6b0e0169ea213b7fba4.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm sure there will be more tweaking before official N.....phone should flat line when your not using IMO

6s Plus
If not completely flatline, at least be so gradual that it looks like a flatline at first glance.

Definitely glad to see they're working on improving this feature though.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
If not completely flatline, at least be so gradual that it looks like a flatline at first glance.

Definitely glad to see they're working on improving this feature though.

I know they can do it ...I use all my phones the same way for the most part ...I can put down my iPhone at home leave idle and 7 hrs later it lost no battery % ...doze should be the same ...no reason unless you're in low signal area where all phones suffer ...I'm looking forward to N...

6s Plus

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I still don't like the fact that they have put battery life/tech on the back burner in favor of these types of features. If anything I think Samsung has the best setup with their multi function power saving mode. You have a variety of options. Activate just the greyscale mode where everything works as normal, but your device is now black & white. (This is the only feature I've ever had to use on my S5 and it works amazingly well)
idU5LeN.png
OR you can activate the option of restricting all background data.
RFopnQo.png
Or go a step further by restricting performance.
fdp6mNq.png
It's just a much better setup then "Doze" which pretty much prevents, or severely limits you from actually using your device while saving battery life at the same time.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wait. Are you saying that Doze prevents or severely limits you from using the device? I don't see it that way. It saves WAY more battery while you're not using the device while not compromising performance or color on the screen while you're actively using it.

I used some of those features you're describing on my Note 4 and my 6P's battery lasts me WAY longer than the Note 4 did with the same (or actually even more, lately) usage.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The only unfortunate thing about Doze is that it requires your screen to be off and your phone to be stationary. This means that if you have a more active job where you stand or walk a lot you won't be able to truly get the full benefit of this feature. You would need to have your phone sitting still.

OBVIOUSLY you'll save more battery life if you're not using your device.
That goes without saying right? LOL

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

OBVIOUSLY you'll save more battery life if you're not using your device.
That goes without saying right? LOL
Right, but the whole point of the OP in this thread is that they're working to change that so the phone can just have the screen off and not have to be stationary, so that won't be an issue much longer.

And my point wasn't that you save more battery when you're not using the device, it was how MUCH more battery you save with Doze vs. not having it. :p

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Oh I get it, I just don't like it. IMO, having the option to still use your device AND save battery life is my preferred option. But we all like what we like, there is no wrong answer here.

S5 tap'n

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So basically this tells me that Doze is BROKEN in M. Seriously none of this seems worth of a whole new version. Why not just update M Google...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
So basically this tells me that Doze is BROKEN in M. Seriously none of this seems worth of a whole new version. Why not just update M Google...
Why is it broken in M?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's the Day 1 beta for developers. Not everything is going to work like the official customer release. Also, from the little that I've seen so far, I think there's enough different about even this early beta to justify a new letter.

I'm with Mustang. I'm thinking I'm gonna go for it and put it on my 6P daily driver.