New DINC available this week, anyone returning the S3?

Beka27

Reaction score
I know we were "under the gun" to get orders in prior to the 28th, but now that the new DINC is coming on the 5th, is anyone planning on returning their S3? Remember, you still have 14 days from when you receive your phone!

I personally couldn't go down to a smaller screen, although I know some people think a 4-inch is just perfect. And the Incredible has always seemed to have a pretty good following.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
You mean downgrade, NOT, me personally I have the HTC Rezound, why should I go for Incredible 4G, already passed down my original Incredible to my Brother, the Incredible 4G is a bit late to the show, another HTC marketing screw up.

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
I did hear a few folks say something about wanting the DINC b/c of the smaller size, but this seems to be a pretty resounding NO. Lol... :happy3:

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
NO
I ordered the S3 because I want the S3...
At this point, I wouldn't even trade it for the mythical Razr HD

liteon163

Reaction score
No. If the DInc 4G came out before the SGS3, I might have upgraded. But not now.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

Reaction score
If I had the s3 maybe. Honestly dual core S4 krait 1gb of ram and a 4in qHD screen. sounds pretty robust to me. In terms it should over power the nexus and the razr. Maybe though because smaller package and alot of horsepower.

sixtyfour

Reaction score
The Incredible 4G was my first choice but I went with the S3 on 6/27 to keep my unlimited data plan. I never cared for the size of some of the larger phones. I really like the form and size of my Incredible and was hesistant to get the S3 which is larger. Once I get it, I'll see how I like it and if I can get along with the size. If not, I'll take a look at the Inc 4G. I did play with a working demo S3 in a T-Mobile store and have to admit that I was blown away by the performance and screen.

I suspect if there's any exchanging to be done, I might trade in the 16GB S3 I preordered for a 32GB. Again, that's after seeing how the S3 handles apps in memory and the SD card (initial reports don't look too good regarding apps-on-SD).

As an aside - will Verizon still hit me with a restocking fee if I exchange an S3 in an unopened box? I called V earlier to see if I could change my order to a 32GB and was told I'd lose my unlimited data. It never occurred to me at the time to ask about the restocking fee on an unopened box.

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
That's a good question, sixtyfour. Knowing vzw, they will probably hit you with a fee. If you find out, let us know.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
sixtyfour said:
The Incredible 4G was my first choice but I went with the S3 on 6/27 to keep my unlimited data plan. I never cared for the size of some of the larger phones. I really like the form and size of my Incredible and was hesistant to get the S3 which is larger. Once I get it, I'll see how I like it and if I can get along with the size. If not, I'll take a look at the Inc 4G. I did play with a working demo S3 in a T-Mobile store and have to admit that I was blown away by the performance and screen.

I suspect if there's any exchanging to be done, I might trade in the 16GB S3 I preordered for a 32GB. Again, that's after seeing how the S3 handles apps in memory and the SD card (initial reports don't look too good regarding apps-on-SD).

As an aside - will Verizon still hit me with a restocking fee if I exchange an S3 in an unopened box? I called V earlier to see if I could change my order to a 32GB and was told I'd lose my unlimited data. It never occurred to me at the time to ask about the restocking fee on an unopened box.
You can not put apps on external SD card on the S3, there is a thread regarding this issue.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I guess for people who want a smaller form factor this might be a good move. But other than that it would be a backwards step.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
You can not put apps on external SD card on the S3, there is a thread regarding this issue.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums

Never really have understood the obsession with putting apps on the SD card. The run better on the internal memory anyway. Apps on the internal and multimedia and everything else on the SD.

sixtyfour

Reaction score
Never really have understood the obsession with putting apps on the SD card. The run better on the internal memory anyway. Apps on the internal and multimedia and everything else on the SD.

I have less than 1GB of space available for apps on my Droid Incredible so apps-on-SD is a critical feature. I'm a creature of habit so it would be nice to retain that option. Think of it as manual HSM for phones.

I didn't realize apps performed differently when stored on internal vs external SD. My Inc is relatively slow so I guess I never noticed. Have you run have any benchmarks that confirm this?

jasonduffy

Reaction score
SD card data rates are always slower than from internal memory. I'm not sure of what benchmarks would be used to test it though.

TatDroid

Reaction score
sixtyfour said:
I have less than 1GB of space available for apps on my Droid Incredible

The difference is that older phones (like the Dinc 1) had WAY less internal storage. For phones today, with 4GB and more of internal memory reserved just for app storage, apps 2 SD is not nearly the issue it used to be.

sixtyfour

Reaction score
SD card data rates are always slower than from internal memory. I'm not sure of what benchmarks would be used to test it though.

In a highly unscientific test, I connected my Inc to my PC and copied a 1GB file from my PC's drive to both the internal memory and the SD card (16GB class 4). I was literally watching a wall clock to time both copy operations (highly unscientific, remember?). The copy to internal memory took 12-13 minutes and the copy to the SD card took 6-7 minutes. Pretty drastic difference and I was surprised that the internal memory performed so poorly. I don't think any sort of caching came into play but I can try to repeat the tests a few more times if I get unlazified.

I'm starting to think that internal memory may not always be faster. It's like OEM tires on a car. You're not going to get the best tires on a new car because the manufacturer is looking to save manufacturing costs as much as possible.