New details on Verizon's 5G Plan

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-communications-5g-network-everything-you-need-to-know-1-638.jpg

Verizon is now starting to unveil some of the services it will deliver on its super-fast 5G network. According to a new Bloomberg report, Verizon will provide 5G customers either a free Apple TV box or free subscription to Google’s YouTube TV app for live television service.

In addition to the new 5G services, Indianapolis was announced as the fourth city where 5G will initially be available. The other cities include Los Angeles, Houston and Sacramento. Verizon is scheduled to have this new service live by the end of the year.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Great concept, aside from the Apple TV... hopefully they offer an android alternative.

COULD be a game changer if they bundled cable/home broadband with mobile. Unless they play the usual AT&T/Comcast game of promo pricing that doubles after a year or two.

Comcast is also a partner that bundles Verizon mobile with it's packages, so I wonder how that would work when VZW becomes a potential competitor in internet/cable?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
COULD be a game changer if they bundled cable/home broadband with mobile. Unless they play the usual AT&T/Comcast game of promo pricing that doubles after a year or two.

Comcast is also a partner that bundles Verizon mobile with it's packages, so I wonder how that would work when VZW becomes a potential competitor in internet/cable?
I think I've read the idea behind 5G is that not only is it cheaper to setup it doesn't require telecom companies like VZW or even new startups to be beholden to the lines laid by comcast and other internet companies.

Maybe I'm wrong but something like that would be a huge game changer.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I've read the idea behind 5G is that not only is it cheaper to setup it doesn't require telecom companies like VZW or even new startups to be beholden to the lines laid by comcast and other internet companies.

Maybe I'm wrong but something like that would be a huge game changer.

True, except for most of the country Comcast/AT&T have already laid that "last mile" and their marginal cost is basically zero. The main issue has been VZW will be competitive, but the question is if they all continue to collude in their "50% off.....for 12 months" game.

I just had to play that game of switching after my promo pricing ran out. It's almost not worth the hassle any more. You have no idea how much pain I just went thru, between Comcast's tiered/phased "customer retention offers" and AT&T horrible customer service and systems. I'm talking HOURS, and who knows how long it will actually take them to properly connect me.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
True, except for most of the country Comcast/AT&T have already laid that "last mile" and their marginal cost is basically zero. The main issue has been VZW will be competitive, but the question is if they all continue to collude in their "50% off.....for 12 months" game.

I just had to play that game of switching after my promo pricing ran out. It's almost not worth the hassle any more. You have no idea how much pain I just went thru, between Comcast's tiered/phased "customer retention offers" and AT&T horrible customer service and systems. I'm talking HOURS, and who knows how long it will actually take them to properly connect me.
Oh I definitely know that pain. I once spent 6 hours cancelling my comcast just to get a better deal... I got the better deal in the end because I wouldn't say take anything less... it's still and absolute pain.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh I definitely know that pain. I once spent 6 hours cancelling my comcast just to get a better deal... I got the better deal in the end because I wouldn't say take anything less... it's still and absolute pain.

It took Comcast FOUR tries to send me the right cable box that worked.

I can do this all day :)

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we both could... I owe dish network for a cable box that was stolen while I had their "theft" protection on my account. They say I owe them like $400

VZW once cancelled my number, I've had it for 12 years. Why did they cancel it? my cousin was doing an AOL on his line and porting it our to another company, the idiot at the store ported my number and instead of calling and pulling it back left my number in limbo, I could receive calls but couldn't make any... it took me going to Metro PCS the company that it was "ported, not-ported" to to get it back. That and about 12 hours of constant phone and in-person conversations.

These damn companies.

nathan64

Reaction score
I'm sure we both could... I owe dish network for a cable box that was stolen while I had their "theft" protection on my account. They say I owe them like $400

VZW once cancelled my number, I've had it for 12 years. Why did Myprepaidbalance they cancel it? my cousin was doing an AOL on his line and porting it our to another company, the idiot at the store ported my number and instead of calling and pulling it back left my number in limbo, I could receive calls but couldn't make any... it took me going to Metro PCS the company that it was "ported, not-ported" to to get it back. That and about 12 hours of constant phone and in-person conversations.

These damn companies.