New ChevyNo1 User!

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by LinuxHack3r, Dec 27, 2010.

1. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

Yesterday I rooted and installed Ultimate Droid 2.5. It's like a new phone! Today I did ChevyNo1 LV 1Ghz as a starting point. Not sure if I want to try the ULV 1Ghz, or the 1.2Ghz LV. For a Motorola Droid running UD 2.5, what is the "consensus" for the best kernel to run? Overall I'd choose longer battery life (if vastly different) over 200Mhz more (as most of the time SetCPU will probably be capping it within reason anyways.

Otherwise, this is like an awesome Christmas presentdancedroid
  2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

It depends on your phone. Some phones can't handle 1.2G and some can't hand ULV kernels. Others can 'handle' them but perform better at either normal voltage(s) or slower speeds. You have to play around and see what is going to work on your device. As for battery life lower speed means more battery life. As for the ULV I used to run them but didn't really see any difference in battery life and the performance was much better (responsive) with a standard voltage (again for my device).

As for SetCPU doing anything 'within reason' it can pretty much count on it to run at the highest setting you have selected (though it will depend on your governor). But check the UD threads because most chefs now put their own governors into their ROMs which often perform better than SetCPU (I know SS and BB have them, I would assume that UD does but maybe not?).
  3. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

I believe UD 2.5 does, however it isn't as in depth as SetCPU. For example, I set it to run as 1Ghz when charging...I figure it can handle it. But once the battery is below 25%, it jumps down to about 400Mhz. So on and so forth. However, overall it may be more benifical to just use the governor builtin to UD 2.5? Just have to see. So after flashing ChevyNo1 LV 1Ghz, I am AMAZED at the responsiveness...it's almost overbearing! I may try and step it around and see what I like, but overall I'm very impressed!
  4. brad r

brad r New Member

KZIWarrior is correct. Every phone is different. What I would do is start with ULV 1.25 GHz and if all is good, congratulations! If you start getting force closes, reboots, or other weird behavior, either increase the voltage or decrease the processing speed incrementally until you find one that works.
  5. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

Ok, just got finished pushing ULV 1.25Ghz....flashed and it seems to be working. I guess the question is how do I figure if it is stable? Going to be using a while...are fc's and rebooting about the best signs to look for?
  6. hogowner

hogowner New Member

yes....and if it starts runinng slower.......
  7. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

Well I've been using it off and on since earlier today, and so far, no adverse effects. I imagine that this should be something that I'd notice fairly quickly, however I could see something process intensive such as a 3D game causing it to act up all of a sudden. Thoughts?
  8. jerroedr

jerroedr New Member

first priority is heat! if your phone gets to 140 degrees f for an extended period of time it will cause damage. so, if you havnt done so yet, I would make some profiles with set cpu to prevent overheating, and if at any point the notification goes off then you know its time to clock down/change voltage
  9. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

I knew getting hot would be a bad thing, so you say 140*F is about the limit eh? I'll set me a profile/alarm that will stop it at 125*F, sound good?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Profile for heat: temp > 44 celsius 400 Max, 250 min

Sent from Tyler Perry's Row 11
  11. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

My question is: If using the ULV 1.25Ghz kernel works, would using the 1.0Ghz ULV provide better battery life? Also, I am wondering this:

1.25Ghz ULV SetCPU to 800Mhz
    vs. >,<, or = to? (Battery life)
    1.00Ghz ULV SetCPU to 800Mhz

My theory for the above is it'd be roughly the same?

12. Stelv

Stelv New Member

If you have your kernel set to the highest for max when screen on and lowest for min when screens off using on demand for governor your battery should not suffer. 800 mhz is too low for me and I usually set my max to around 1000mhz -1100mhz

Sent from Tyler Perry's Row 11
  13. Ripper27

Ripper27 New Member

Here is a tip, charge your phone till it is full. Check about phone/battery status. Then boot into recovery, and go to advanced. Then wipe battery stats. Reboot all the way before unplugging charger. then setup profiles on setcpu to to underclock when screen is off. Should last a good long time with any kernel. pm me if you have any questions. After you unplug your phone let it die or power off before charging again. This sets your peek battery level.

Droid 1
    Ud 2.5.0
    Slayer 1200 lv kernel
    Themed blue-Black Swype
  14. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

Was actually in the process of doing that now. I already have it setting to the 400Mhz setting with the screen off, also 550Mhz anytime the battery is under 25%, both of those profiles are set with the power saving mode. Otherwise it's currently 440Mhz-1250Mhz ondemand. Of course I know have a temperature safe setting.

15. jerroedr

jerroedr New Member

technically, yes, the 1ghz ulv should have better battery life.
    as for your other question.... why are you underclocking? seems kinda pointless since the stock kernel goes 800hz

as for battery life, the 1 ghz should have better life at 800 than the 1.25. This is because of the slots leading up to your set max. With the 1ghz there are more stages for teh cpu to work at before hitting 800 when compared to 1.25. BUT you should probablly flash an 800 hz kernel if your worried abotu battery life and are running at 800 anyway.

also, i have my cpu temp set to 50 degrees celcius
  16. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

Well I'm not actually setting it at 800Mhz, just chose that number as an example...as I'm not sure it is necessary for me to use the 1.25Ghz. But I'm going to go the next few days with it and see how my battery does. If I can go a full day (About 8AM-10Pmish), I will be the happiest boy on all these forums;) Typically, my battery has been dying around 2PM. However, I feel pretty confident in the way I have it setup right now....but we'll see. If the 1.25Ghz kernel doesn't make it, then I may try out the 1Ghz for a while and see if it does for me. But I have SetCPU going from 250Mhz to 1.25Ghz, ondemand.