New Charge today.. Overwhelming.. What first and next??

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by LDB415, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LDB415

LDB415 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Charge today and it is a cool phone but it is quite complex and a little overwhelming. Is there a tutorial somewhere on what to do in what order to maximize the phone?

Oh, and before the cranky crew tells me to read and search I plan to do that also but there is a HUGE amount of material to "forum" through so a head start from this inquiry is appreciated.

2. mallardjusted

mallardjusted New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine a couple weeks, and initially it seemed overwhelming. But, little by little I am really liking it and learning.

Press Applications, and look for a widget called "Guided Tours". Those help some.

Our Verizon store has a workshop every Sunday morning, so I signed up for a class that first week. That worked out great because it was basically one-on-one help.

Another thing I found was that instead of trying to comprehend the whole manual at one time, I downloaded a pdf copy of it, and concentrate on reading/experimenting just a few pages each day. If you know someone else that has either this phone, or a Samsung Tab (and maybe other recent Samsung smartphones?), that helps too, since the interface is similar on these. My neighbor just got the Tab, so I'm already helping him out.

matt

3. ChrisTech

ChrisTech New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine yesterday. Making a list of the issues I need help with, then will post later in my own thread, so I don't threadcrap here.

Just as a question, do your LED's light up when you get new emails/text messages? That's the only thing that has me puzzled. Shows enabled, unless I'm missing something (probably am). Will look more for it. -- Looks like there are no LED's on the Charge. Oh well, not end of world. Still works for what I need to use it for.

#3 ChrisTech, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. mallardjusted

mallardjusted New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ..... I don't recall led lights, but there are symbols at the top that appear.

5. Insidious

Insidious Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The charge doesn't have LED Notifications.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

6. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Senior Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Current Phone Model:
    G2
  7. Remlapp

Remlapp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LDB,
    I've only had mine about a week. Here are a few things I've learned since.
    1) To add apps, look for the "Market" app. You can download apps right to your phone
    2) My salesman recommended downloading "Advanced Task Killer". This app helps shut
    down apps when you're not using them, helping to preserve batt life. Make sure you get the 'Advanced Task Killer' with the little green guy and a blue X on his belly. It's a free app. There is also a fake Task Killer that has the same little guy with a red X. DONT use that one. I was told it's trouble.
    3) When you download apps, they will typically automatically install on your phone
    4) If you want to move an app from your 'applications' library to your home page for easy access, simply find the app icon and press and hold down. This will 'paste' it onto your homepage.
    5) Just as easy to remove from your homepage. Press and hold down. You will see a garbage can icon appear at the bottom of the homepage. Press it and the icon will disappear. Not to worry, it doesn't delete the program, just the icon.
    6) My salesman also showed me a cool widget. Press anywhere on the homepage and hold, a menu will pop up. From here you can select 'widgets' or wallpapers, etc..
    Go to widgets and scroll down look for power control. This widget will add to your homepage. This allows you to manage your screen brightness (tap on 'sun' logo on far right button. Each tap sets higher/lower). Also can turn GPS on/off, bluetooth, etc.. Each feature uses batt power. I just leave the 'sync' on at all times (2nd from right). Deactivating 'sync' keeps your sys from checking for email and messages.
    Oh, and if you want to hide the Power Saver strip from your homepage, (it does take up some screen space), simply hold it down and then when you feel the activation 'bump' slide it all the way down to the bottom of the screen. It will disappear.
    7) If you want a beautiful 'live' wallpaper, hold the home screen again, go to 'Widgets' and look for Live Wallpaper and select Beach. It's awesome.
    I hope this at least helps you get started and oriented in some way.
    I'm far from an expert. I'm only sharing the little bit I've learned along the way.

8. LDB415

LDB415 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much. That is what I was hoping for rather than a space wasting reply providing no help or encouragement at all. Good luck on your learning curve as well.

9. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,348
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    I'm now waiting for my charge to come in the mail but one thing I do know about the charge, unlike other droids, is that it does have its own built in task killer. You do not have to download one and it is also recommended not to use the market task killers b/c they constantly run in the background using up your battery life and draining resources.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

10. tuan0r

tuan0r New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Recently extended my contract with Verizon and took a chance with the entire LTE hype. I picked the charge over TB knowing the battery in the latter would be a pain. In general - charge is very snappy, it is not as fast as TB but very consistent and very easy to use (intuitive setup). Loved the screen, loved the speed of 4G and loved the navigation.

11. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Do NOT use task killers! The sales people don't know what they are doing. I'll post a link describing this in a sec.

Sent from my fascinate

12. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
Search tags for this page
charge samsung tutorial
cool things droid charge can do

samsung charge tutorial

samsung charge video tutorial