New Carrier 'Republic Wireless' Coming Nov. 8; Unlimited Voice, Text & Data $19/Month

DJTURNz

Reaction score
Are they taking your money now, but shipping in December?

I was thinking of getting my son an iPod Touch or Android phone without a cellular plan so he can download apps on the home wifi and stuff without paying for cellular. I wonder if buying the phone for $99 and dropping the service after a while would work? It said no contract, but do they deactivate the phone somehow? I would imagine they might.

knighthonor

Reaction score
How will this work? seems like we need a wifi to get unlimited service. so when we leave the house, it charges us from Sprint. seem kinda like its not unlimited. does outside access go over the 19$?

ABQNM

Reaction score
How will this work? seems like we need a wifi to get unlimited service. so when we leave the house, it charges us from Sprint. seem kinda like its not unlimited. does outside access go over the 19$?

Basically the $19 gets you access to the shared pool of minutes. Wifi calling and data are totally unlimited and on the sprint network a fair usage policy applies. Your usage basically has a 10 day rolling average of your usage compared to the fair usage standard. They use an example of 550 min, 150 sms and 300mb of data and still be inside the usage guidelines. So the less data you use on the go the more minutes you can use and the more you are on wifi helps keep everyone inside the amount of minutes they are buying from sprint. So it is unlimited with a few caveats on the mobile network usage. So if you are around wifi enough then this would be perfect.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

ABQNM

Reaction score
what do they mean by require wifi?

You have to connect the phone to at least one wireless wifi Internet connection to use the service. And you want to be connected to wifi as much as possible to have more usage available for when you can't use it.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

S

SFGate

When I read that you have to provide them with your wifi network info, I found this was not for me. I am not going to start paying extra for wifi just so I can have $19 phone service.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
It uses wifi when its programed network is in range. When not in range it uses 3g this is not a big deal to understand really. Its the opposite of what were doing now really..Its hard wired into the phone by os to use wifi like it or not while the signal you've set up to is in range, saving you and the company money..If it gets near a free network or open, it will auto to that one. If your not around any at all, 3g kicks in....So, if your not around wifi at work, your on 3g whether they like it or not.Its a great idea, but, the problem is, whenever I've used wifi calling, it echoes so damned bad it pissed me off when talking to the other person...hope its not like this with the service.

Tapped and Told!
Peace!