New Bug: when input field is at bottom of webpage...

Discussion in 'xScope Mobile' started by wernst, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wernst

wernst Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I found another bug. I believe it'll be a minor fix.

Here's what happens: go to a webpage that has an input field at the bottom of it. The one I see all time is a "comment" page at touch.facebook.com. In other words, go to this website and try to comment on anything.

When you tap the text input field and the phone is in portrait mode, the portrait qwerty keyboard comes up and partially obscures the text input field. In the case of touch.facebook.com, you can see only the top line of the field.

If you rotate the phone to landscape mode, you can now see the entire field.

The problem seems to be that xScope doesn't see the top of the keyboard as the true bottom of the browser window, so you can't scroll the page up any higher to see the entire field.

If you use the default browser, then the entire text entry field is visible, and it seems to correctly "know" that the top of the keyboard is really the bottom of the browser window.

This is a minor irritant, but a constant one when I'm on facebook: sort of like a pebble in your shoe that I can't get rid of.

Can someone else please confirm this bug for me?

Looking forward to a fix.

-Warr

2. garysui

garysui Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this bug report. I tried on my Droid and it seems nothing unusual. I am using Android keyboard.

Until today, I still have no idea why the same webview behaves so differently. There is no code in the app to control how the input box and keyboard should interact. Another instance is the mystery password field misalignment bug. Issue 5596 - android - Password characters is vertically misaligned in WebView - Project Hosting on Google Code

3. wernst

wernst Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm. I am getting this behavior with the default android keyboard, the HTC keyboard, and with Swype while using xScope. All three work correctly with the default browser.

-Warr

4. wernst

wernst Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm. More info. This isn't a problem when the input field is at the bottom of a short webpage. If you are testing on touch.facebook.com, make sure to try to comment on something that already has a lot of comments, not just one comment.

I have disabled all my other soft keyboards and even this way, I still have the problem, and can repeat it all day long. It's pretty annoying.

-Warr

5. garysui

garysui Member

Ratings:
    +0
    THanks for letting us know.

6. wernst

wernst Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So, the latest version still exhibits this bug. Gary, are you saying you can't reproduce this bug, or are you saying you can't fix it?

-Warr

7. garysui

garysui Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried again and fine (2.1). There is absolutely no code in the app to control how keyboard and web pages should interact. Behavior is from the core library (webview specifically) and I can not do anything about it.
    Sorry for this one.

8. Phoxus

Phoxus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In easiest terms possible: This is an Android WEBKIT issue.

9. wernst

wernst Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Gary and all,

I don't want to belabor a point here, but since there was a little confusion when I documented that weird password bug, here are some screenshots to thoroughly document what I am seeing.

First, let's see the default browser's behavior.

I go to touch.facebook.com and then to a page that is showing a lot of comments:
    [​IMG]

Then I scroll down, where I see the comment field:
    [​IMG]

And then I tap the comment field to start typing text. Note how the entire comment field is visible above the keyboard:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now then, let's try the same thing with xScope.

First, I go to the same page:
    [​IMG]

Then I scroll down to the comment field:
    [​IMG]

And then I tap the comment field to start typing:
    [​IMG]

Whoops! I can't scroll the screen any "more" in order to see the rest of the comment field, or indeed, any of the content below the comment field.

This happens in xScope whether I am using the default Android keyboard, the HTC keyboard, or the Swype keyboard pictured here. And it always works in the default browser regardless of the keyboard.

So, are you telling me that you don't see this behavior on your end, or are you telling me that you see this behavior on your end and that you consider it normal for xScope? Facebook is just one on the sites that I see this on.

Thanks for letting me know.

-Warr
    [​IMG]

10. garysui

garysui Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "I go to touch.facebook.com and then to a page that is showing a lot of comments:"
    Which page? Thanks.
    I have 7 friends and none of us is a facebook heavy user. May I know exactly which page(url) you are looking at? (long press url box or press star in front of url box to copy it)
    Thanks!

11. wernst

wernst Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Gary,

The problem here is that if you aren't a facebook friend of (in this case) Mat Rivera, then you can't see this page.

However, just find something on FB that one of your friends has written, and then make a comment, then make another, then make another. Soon, you'll be at the bottom of the page and you'll see the bug too.

I take it from your response that you actually haven't seen this before.

-Warr

12. Phoxus

Phoxus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He probably doesn't have facebook lol

Search tags for this page
android browser keyboard overlaps input field bottom page
android input jump to top of page
android keyboard covers input
android mobile browser covering text entry box with keyboard

android webview keyboard hides input field