New Blue replacement battery cover

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I did not know that the Back cover was replaceable or removable for that matter.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There are YouTube videos that show how if you're so inclined. This video does a pretty good job if it. Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254 Disassembly / Tear Do…:
Just be extra careful when detaching the back cover from the phone that you don't tear the connection for the wireless charging coil from the back of the phone and also be very careful when prying it from the back cover as well. Also, less is more with the back cover connecting tabs. Gentle persuasion is preferred over muscle wrenching as the tabs are very small and not too difficult to break. As in the video they should let go rather easily and with a definite "click", but getting around the corners is tricky.

Finally, when you're prying the back off from the adhesive, be careful not to fold the back cover back, as it will crack along the sides if you do. It's better to get your fingers inside and push the cover off from the middle as the video shows. With adhesive, I've found that applying a constant prying or pulling pressure at an angle and allowing the adhesive to " let go" at its own pace works better than brute force, and prevents tearing the double-sided adhesive allowing it to be reused.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

OP
F
Reaction score
I took my back off to check it out and it was easy. I used a green plastic pry tool for phones. I bet a card would work too. The charging coil didnt stick to the back. there was glue on it but it stayed glued to the phone. I dropped my phone and dented the corner of the center case so I want to replace both the back and center section. Wish the video went into that. I see there is tape that they sell for the screen. Do i need to replace that? its cheap. $7.99 for 10 of them. anything i need to watch out for taking it apart further than the video?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I took my back off to check it out and it was easy. I used a green plastic pry tool for phones. I bet a card would work too. The charging coil didnt stick to the back. there was glue on it but it stayed glued to the phone. I dropped my phone and dented the corner of the center case so I want to replace both the back and center section. Wish the video went into that. I see there is tape that they sell for the screen. Do i need to replace that? its cheap. $7.99 for 10 of them. anything i need to watch out for taking it apart further than the video?

You may go ahead and purchase that double sided tape that is pre-cut for the right size, or you could go to your local office supply store or Home Depot and buy a roll of double sided acrylic adhesive tape and cut to fit yourself. The fact is you'll likely spend as much for the entire roll as you will for just the pre cut pieces so in my opinion it's a better option to buy the roll and have it for other future needs.

There's nothing unique about the double sided tape, except perhaps that it is extremely thin and highly flexible whereas a lot of double sided tape is more rigid with a thicker acrylic center layer. If you shop carefully you can certainly find the very thin and flexible version of the double sided tape elsewhere, but I highly doubt that the minimal extra thicknes would be a problem, so why not get more for your money?

As for other things to look out for when opening the case, I would just say be extra careful that you don't pull on any ribbon connectors in such a manner as to cause them to tear or bend. They are relatively short and generally just long enough to give you the room you need to get in there and disconnect them. Anything far more than a large finger in many cases could result in a torn ribbon cable.

I'm not sure what you mean by the center case, because it appears to me that the back and front exterior chassis are completely separate from the internal case or frame and are collectively the entire clamshell that is exposed to the exterior. If my middle case, you mean the aluminum bezel that is around the glass from the middle of the sides up to the front I believe that is part of the entire front that encompasses the front digitizer glass, bezel and display as 1 unit in its entirety.

I believe that the front glass and bezel can be purchased separately at a relatively low price, but the difficulty is separating the front glass from the actual display since they are glued together. Its far simpler to replace the entire front display assembly, but that piece is about 200 dollars by itself. Yes, the video didn't go completely into a full disassembly as many of the other videos have in the past.

I imagine that there probably is a better video which would go into a full disassembly, but it seemed you were only in need of the removal of the back and that video does a fine job of showing you what you need to know. I would Google droid turbo disassembly or some other similar search terms. Don't forget to select video at the top of the Google search window so you'll get the videos and not just the basic web descriptions and URLs.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm thinking breaking that seal is going to leave less than desirable results down the road in regards to dust & moisture. Even with replacing it with double sided tape of some sort.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Guess I'm lucky I just bought the Blue one from the Start. I love how it only says droid and no VZW logo on it. Love the Turbo so far.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm thinking breaking that seal is going to leave less than desirable results down the road in regards to dust & moisture. Even with replacing it with double sided tape of some sort.
With regard to breaking the seals as you mentioned, removing the tape that holds the back to the wireless charging coil, and the wireless charging coil to the battery is one that is easily resolved by simply replacing the tape. I don't believe that double sided tape plays any role in preventing dust or water infiltration.

Seals that would prevent dust or water would typically be a rubber grommet that runs the circumference of where the two halves meet, but I don't know for sure if this one has any such dust or water seals.

It is true as a possibility that with the removal of the back and replacement of a new back, the clips where the two halves come together may round off slightly and therefore the new cover may not make as tight a seal or grip as the old one did considering that the clips are plastic. However, unless you put the phone under additional stresses beyond the normal use, I don't believe that this will present a problem in the long run for most.

Reactions: cr6
OP
F
Reaction score
this is the middle case. Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254 Front Housing Frame this is the frame in between the circuit board and the screen and you can see it from the out side of the phone. its aluminum. my screen and glass are fine. I got the tape on ebay Ill just sell off the extra 9 on here for $1 shipped. i think ill keep a extra one so 8.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
this is the middle case. Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254 Front Housing Frame this is the frame in between the circuit board and the screen and you can see it from the out side of the phone. its aluminum. my screen and glass are fine. I got the tape on ebay Ill just sell off the extra 9 on here for $1 shipped. i think ill keep a extra one so 8.

OK, so what I suspected is correct. This "middle frame" is what is identified as the "front housing", and is also known as the bezel, the Aluminum frame which surrounds the glass at the front of the phone and the front housing with the display and digitizer, and is essentially the front half of the two which together with the back cover you also wish to replace makes up the clamshell exterior.

In order to replace just that frame would require virtually complete disassembly of the phone and may also require the separation of the front glass digitizer and the display underneath, though without watching a full disassembly I can't say if that's true or not. If it is true, then this is something I highly recommend you don't consider doing as the risk of cracking either the front glass or the display glass (or both), is high.

You might be better off obtaining a full front display, digitizer and front housing in one piece, and then selling your dented one to offset the higher upfront cost.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
so it would be cheaper to smash it and get a replacement lol
Well, in some cases it is actually cheaper to get the phone repaired or replaced under an extended warranty or supplemental protection plan (even with a high deductible), than it is to repair yourself.

Going back to the video I posted for you earlier, you'll see the frame you're referring to as a complete assembly with the display and digitizer at 8:00 on the clock in the video.

9bc10784ec0c31b800482eeb4349c2d4.jpg

cdfddfb3f9502190dc474aa5e36371dc.jpg

The reason it's not shown being separated into its three main components, digitizer, display and frame is due to the difficulty in doing so.

Last edited: