New bionic ownere here ...have a few?'s

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Bionic_Racer, May 31, 2012.

1. Bionic_Racer

Bionic_Racer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello fellow bionic owners. I just got my bionic yesterday and im loving it. I upgraded from a dinc 1 so its like day and night in terms of the improvement. Im still getting used to a few things as the htc had a very different layout. Now i have a few questions..

First, i have the motorola oem extended battery and it makes the back stick out a bit more. Is there a case that will fit it now? Btw this battery is amazing..

Also... ive read a lot about people rooting their phones.. what does this mean and is it easy to do? If i keep my bionic non rooted will i be missing out on a lot?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Welcome to the Forums!

I don't know of any cases that'll fit with the extended battery. I've heard of people using a Dremel to an otterbox.

As for rooting. take a look at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html (ignore the title, it's from a while ago). Basically rooting gives you superuser permissions. There are several benefits, like freezing bloatware and having access to apps that will only run if the phone is rooted. You can also do things like change the clock speed and install ROMs to make your phone different. It's not as complex as it used to be and there are ways to back to stock if you need to.

That being said, I'm not rooted, nor do I intend to root. But that's just me. While it's easier now, you can mess your phone up if you're not careful. There are many people here that will be more than happy to help you out of any problem you may have, but I spend enough time here already and don't want to hang out in the "I bricked my phone!!! :mad:" threads. Read as much as you can about rooting before doing so.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  3. Bionic_Racer

Bionic_Racer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Dam that sucks. Without a case the phone seems so slippery like it could easily slide out of my pocket or something. Also i cant stand it up to lean against anything like i could with my dinc because i had the rubber case for that phone so it created a grip to surfaces. When i try to do that with this phone it just slides and falls flat.

Is there a stand for this phone? I didnt see one on vzw online.

And i dont think im gonna root this phone ill just wait for ics.

4. Scimino

Scimino Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There is a case for the extended battey. I had one. It a body glove and i think amazon sells it

5. timmy10shoes

timmy10shoes Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just leave the battery cover off and use the case as your battery cover.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I use a holster I got at Walmart to hold my phone instead of in my pocket. I have the multimedia dock if I want it to stand.

Good thing Scimino brought up the Body Glove case, I forgot about it. Or what timmy10shoes suggested with the otterbox.

7. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +216
  8. jhom

jhom Active Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. Bionic_Racer

Bionic_Racer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the suggestions.. i think i may get the one off of amazon as it seems like my only option.

10. My351

My351 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I use the stock on that Verizon carries for it. Costs about $20 if I remember correctly, covers and protects the phone pretty well IMO, and has a kickstand built it. It will also fit in the docks with the case on, and is made for the oem extended battery. While I have no doubt many people don't like this case, I have had it on mine since day one, and the same with my dx that my bionic replaced. Pull the cases off, and they both still look like new.

11. mdotytx

mdotytx Member

Ratings:
    +6
    That seems unsafe :-/

12. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,382
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    Some people use a dremel rotary tool and modify the case to fit an extended battery.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

13. Bionic_Racer

Bionic_Racer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    well guys I ended up buying the case off amazon. it looks like a decent case and it was cheap so hopefully itll work out.

14. DoctorV

DoctorV Member

Ratings:
    +10
    If you're worried about your phone slipping out of your pocket then you can buy some eGrip strips and stick them on your phone. I have them on my phone and they make your phone really grippy.

Egrips Non-Slip Strips - Consumer & Promotional Products for Mobile Phones - Silicone Grip Material | Information

I don't thnk they have a custom kit for the Bionic but you can get universal kits here:
    ONLINE STORE RETAIL||non-promotional products

And if you really want to go cheap and dont care what your phone looks like then you can buy a closeout set and cut them up to fit your phone. This is what I bought:
    ONLINE STORE RETAIL||non-promotional products

15. Bionic_Racer

Bionic_Racer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just received my case and holster in the mail. I love this case and especially since it has a kickstand. However i feel that the tab that hold it out will wear over time.. but its better than nothing.

I also dont like how the case doesnt offer much protection to the top or bottom of the phone. but overall im satisfied with it being that it is the only case that supports the extended battery.