New Bionic...Better to root from 5.893 or do 902 update and root from that system??

OP
T

Tmwoods8

Reaction score
Find a good ROM that will streamline the phones features and allow me to do a small amount of wifi tethering. I used open garden on my OG Driod and it worked really well. It is my understanding that I now have to use a workaround to get past the verizon tethering block??? I'm assuming most good ROMs will provide that. Also just want to learn more about customization, theming etc. As far as roms are concerned id like to have speed and complete functionality over beta type versions. Is it true that most of the ICS roms are not yet "final"? Any suggestions are appreciated!

eye_dea

Reaction score
Find a good ROM that will streamline the phones features and allow me to do a small amount of wifi tethering. I used open garden on my OG Driod and it worked really well. It is my understanding that I now have to use a workaround to get past the verizon tethering block??? I'm assuming most good ROMs will provide that. Also just want to learn more about customization, theming etc. As far as roms are concerned id like to have speed and complete functionality over beta type versions. Is it true that most of the ICS roms are not yet "final"? Any suggestions are appreciated!

First suggestion is to get titanium backup from the market (aka google play). Backup all your apps and app data.
To flash a ROM, I use safestrap. Check it out here...http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-hacks/202176-detailed-safestrap-instructions.html and look at tuckmobiles full thread for more info here.. [GUIDE][N00B] Step-By-Step ROOT/SAFESTRAP/ROM Instructions & 902 Update Info (3/13/12) - droidHIVE Forums
A popular and stable ROM at this point is eclipse v2.2...but there are a few others.
As far as the ICS ROMS, it is true...they are in beta (probably not much longer), but there are only a few items not working...like front facing camera and video recording.
Also, before flashing any ROMS, I would make sure that you know how to bring your bionic back to life, should you soft brick it. Read up on RSDlite or moto-fastboot for more info. Get the necessary files and archive them.
Keep asking questions...

OP
T

Tmwoods8

Reaction score
Ive forgotten... should safestrap and eclipse be downloaded directly to my phone without using a pc? I feel like this might be a dumb question....thanks again for taking the time!

eye_dea

Reaction score
Ive forgotten... should safestrap and eclipse be downloaded directly to my phone without using a pc? I feel like this might be a dumb question....thanks again for taking the time!
Yes...go to those 2 websites for detailed instructions and the downloads.

OP
T

Tmwoods8

Reaction score
When I try to download eclipse I get a failure message. I actually had it installed but it was being affected by a clock widget trying to open it. I deleted it and tried to download it again and the download keeps failing. Should i do some sort of wipe??? Or clean the cache???

eye_dea

Reaction score
Maybe a bad download. Try downloading from eclipserom.com Make sure you download for the bionic and not some other phone.
After that I would just follow the: FLASHING A DIFFERENT ROM TO YOUR SAFE SYSTEM steps in the guide. It is probably overkill, since you are just flashing eclipse again, but atleast you can start fresh again.

OP
T

Tmwoods8

Reaction score
Just read a suggestion to try installing astro. This seems to have worked. Eclipse is downloading now. I'll follow your directions from there...Thanks as always!

eye_dea

Reaction score
Must be using stock browser... Astro is good and so is downloadallfiles from the market.
I like using Dolphin HD browser myself. It's a personal preference though.
Let us know how things go...

OP
T

Tmwoods8

Reaction score
Wohoo! Rocking eclipse! Love it! Sooo fast! Two more goals 1) tethering - appears that there might be a conflict with open garden and mobile hotspot both starting when i click on open garden. 2) How about some good screenshots of a couple of eclipse themes???? Any ideas on either of those items;)

eye_dea

Reaction score
Wohoo! Rocking eclipse! Love it! Sooo fast! Two more goals 1) tethering - appears that there might be a conflict with open garden and mobile hotspot both starting when i click on open garden. 2) How about some good screenshots of a couple of eclipse themes???? Any ideas on either of those items;)

Excellent!
1) I don't tether, so I wont be much help. However, there is an app in the market by the name of Foxfi and people with bionics have had good success with it. If this don't work then maybe start a new thread with this question.
2)The themes will be at eclipserom.com...make sure you get the theme that goes with the version of eclipse your running. Also, follow the safestrap directions on how to install a theme...and follow the themers directions. For example, some make you wipe cache and etc.
Enjoy your phone!
Any more questions...hit me up

Last edited:
OP
T

Tmwoods8

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all of your help! I'm sure I'll check back in again. That is a fun process...

oDECREEx

Reaction score
Okay guys so I have a problem, I try to.use motofail and I have usb debugging enabled and Apps from non market Apps. I download, plutonium, and within motofail I get an error that says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable batch file" running windows vista 64bit

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
Okay guys so I have a problem, I try to.use motofail and I have usb debugging enabled and Apps from non market Apps. I download, plutonium, and within motofail I get an error that says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable batch file" running windows vista 64bit
You have it unzipped correct? And the 5.4 or 5.5 drivers installed.