New battery and i have a question mark as my %

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Just got a new battery, and it wont display the battery percentage in battery manager or my status bar. In my status bar its a black battery with a question mark and in battery manager its a 100? Forever. Any fixes?

vatothe0

Reaction score
Sounds like a non-genuine battery. You'd have to buy a different one to fix it.

Sent from my DROIDX² using Tapatalk Pro

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
You sure about that? I just got my replacement Droid 2 from wirefly and whenever I'm charging my battery, its fine, but once it gets to 100% the battery icon turns gray and theres a question mark inside (like the TC said). Then it seems like it stops charging and the battery starts to drain (while still plugged in).

I've had days where I let it charge overnight, wake up, and notice it says its still charging but its actually lower than it was.

Does this really have to do with a non-genuine battery? Because I dont think wirefly would do that (and its a new phone not refurbished).

chrstdvd

Reaction score
"I've had days where I let it charge overnight, wake up, and notice it says its still charging but its actually lower than it was"

Happened to me on my old storm 1, it was a bad cable. In the D2 case it could be the cable or the thing we plug it into. Try to charge on your computer to pin it down.

As far as the new battery issue, I get red flags. These phones are not old enough for new batteries. Ya might want to take it to Big Red or your provider and have that checked out by the techs.

boogie5184

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I ordered two batteries from ebay. They are BP6X batteries.But when they are in the droid 2 I get a ? for the status. The only thing I have noticed that is different is that the connections are smaller than the ones on battery that came with the phone.

Taegost

Reaction score
There a file called batterystats.bin or something like that, and I believe it's in a spot in internal memory that doesn't require root access. If you delete that file, it'll reset the Androids' memory of the battery, which might resolve the issue.
If you do a search on this forum you'll be able to find the location of it.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
There a file called batterystats.bin or something like that, and I believe it's in a spot in internal memory that doesn't require root access. If you delete that file, it'll reset the Androids' memory of the battery, which might resolve the issue.
If you do a search on this forum you'll be able to find the location of it.
I did that just now and now I get the question mark inside of the battery icon as soon as I try to charge.

Bummer.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading that you need to clear the cache. I did a little research this morning. Here are some links about how to do that plus some other battery issues.

How To Extend The Battery Life Of The Motorola Droid 2 | Cell Phone How To, Cell Phone Reviews, New Cell Phones

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/69538-droid-1-2-extended-battery-37.html
Just go in root explorer and go to /data/system and delete batterystats.bin
I Came, I Saw, I Learned...: Technology Tips: Make Your Droid Battery Last Longer, Part II
Many applications leave cached data on your phone that you don't necessarily need. One such app is the Task Killer mentioned last week. To clear these caches, choose Settings > Applications > Manage applications. Select each application listed and if there is a pushable Clear cache button in the Cache area, go ahead and push it to clear the cache.

Clear cache on Droid? - Page 2 - Android Forums
How do you enter the recovery menu in the droid 2?

Edit: Its the search button.

So its like the old Droid:
Power off
Hold X
Power on
Wait for the caution sign in the background
Hit the search button on the keyboard
Profit.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/2117-droid-battery-charge-problem-2.html Not much here on particular issue, but good info.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Thank you for the links!

I'll go ahead and try that stuff when I get home.