New Baseband = Worse Battery Life?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Greenblurr93, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Greenblurr93

Greenblurr93 New Member

Installed the new baseband and went smooth... since then my battery life has gotten exceptionally worse... so i went and upgraded to SS 3.0 which didnt help nor hurt in anyway (Great ROM by the way...)

Changed between a couple different OC Kernels which had 0 affect...

Stopped using Live Wallpapers which did nothing...

Is there something else i could change/try to get my bateryt life back the way it was?

Ive used my phone for maybe an hour (playing music with the screen off) and a couple text messages and im at 70%... when i would normally still be at 90%

By the end of the day im at 20% when i would normally be at 50-60%

Temps are stable and cool... although sometimes i notice a spike in temp which requires a reboot..
  2. jmart8684

jmart8684 New Member

Damn..thats some drainage. By any chance, did you leave things like WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, etc..on when not needed? Still have service wherever you are? I noticed being in places with crappy reception , leaving things on when not in use takes a nasty toll on the battery. Besides that, I'm not too sure what it would be
  3. Greenblurr93

Greenblurr93 New Member

Thanks for the reply, but ive changed literally NOTHING else.. settings are the same as before and locations ive had my phone havent changed... Work and Home.. im comparing battery life from before the 'upgrade' to after with no other changes, then the couple changes ive made sense with no affect.
  4. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

Which Baseline file did you use?
    Secondly did you do *228 or *22899
    Are you using the kernel that is part of SS3.0 or did you change it to a different one.
    Another thing would be to check your battery usage screen and see what the Cell Standby time is showing and if there is any % of signal loss.
  5. Greenblurr93

Greenblurr93 New Member

Here is my current setup

Have not tried *228 or *22899 yet.... ill give it a shot
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  6. stewp97

stewp97 New Member

Is your phone trying to download the official 2.1 update in the background? I have read on other threads that it will kill you battery.

peter
  7. Greenblurr93

Greenblurr93 New Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Yea I just read about that. To Chevy or someone else who knows, for us running SS how do we go about fixing this? Just follow that thread that everyone else is? Like downloading that .zip file and putting it in the certain folder with certain permissions, or can us simply stunning users go about it a different way???
  9. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

This is from DroidMod.org and will end the OTA issue:

I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there’s really nothing to worry about, because the pre-install checks internal to the update will fail, and the update will not be applied anyways.
    Many people have been renaming otacerts.zip to stop the notification from appearing, so I’d like to address that. Renaming otacerts.zip will indeed stop the notifications from being presented to you, but it does so by breaking the updater mechanism in a way that makes it think that the update file is corrupt. This will cause it to re-download the update file indefinitely, which will severely impact your battery life. This is why we didn’t remove the file from the ROM entirely.
    So, to put it simply, if you are running any non-stock ROM at all, you can safely “accept” the 2.1 update to stop the notifications; the update will not be able to patch the modified system files, and will not make any changes to your phone.
  10. Greenblurr93

Greenblurr93 New Member

Battery life has improved somewhat to a more bearable level. renamed the otacert.bak to otacert.zip and added the needed permission... but have yet to gt prompted about the new update... i also dont have the option to manually check for updates (its not there)
  11. meishkov

meishkov New Member

So us SS users, do we download that otacerts.zip and rename it to be otacerts.zip.bak and move it into the system/etc/security folder with all the permissions checked on it, or do we rename that downloaded to be .bak only instead of .zip?? Confused. I did the renamed it .zip.bak and put it in the folder and it let me go through with the 2.1 update, and it got blocked by sprecovery, so I thought I was good. System update option says phone is up to date, and battery usage went down for awhile, but overnight it was at 100% usage in the middle of the night for a few hours. So it's still trying to download the ota. Very frustrating. Don't know how to fix it.
  12. rcarlino

rcarlino New Member

Battery life

Agreed when I was on ss 2.2 I went all day and was still at 80% very impressive. Ever since wipe install of 3.0 I am down to 40% in around 6 hours... I am using the kernel that came with 3.0 and running at 1000 which is what I was running at before...
  13. Greenblurr93

Greenblurr93 New Member

Id like to say again, this happened BEFORE i went over to Chevy's 3.0 ROM.. this was directly after the baseband upgrade... nothing else chenged...

battery life was impressive today... unplugged since 7am and at 50% now with a few phone calls and texting
  14. withersdavid

withersdavid New Member

Was this ever resolved? I can barely go 4 hours before my droid is dead since the OTA was released.
  15. Greenblurr93

Greenblurr93 New Member

After a *22899 and i renamed 'otacert.bak' to 'otacert.zip' and changed the permissions Battery life improved 10 fold...
  16. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i think my battery might be worse after i went to that too. i might have the 2.1 issue too, but my otacerts.zip is just a zip and not a bak, so idk whats blocking it?
Search tags for this page

android baseband change battery life

cell phone battery life baseband

samsung baseband impact battery