New baseband too??

Tino

Reaction score
So what exactly did you do, if you don't mind me asking for excruciating detail... Download the zip file, place on the sdcard renaming it as update.zip, boot into Recovery, apply the update.zip, reactive the phone and enter one of the codes people here have been listing...? Or something else?

Thats how I did it except i didnt have to enter any code.

And since it ran as an update, none of your apps or settings or anything were overridden? I'm just gauging what kind of safety-backup I should do beforehand.

I find it odd that half the people here half to enter a code, half get weird response, and half didn't have to enter anything. And yes, I know that adds up to 150%.

The only reason people are being asked for phone and SSN is because they are linked to corporate accounts. If this is the case for you. Complete activation by typing *22899 instead of letting the phone dial for you. That will supersede verizons added measures.

gan777

Reaction score
At MDW they say you can install this like an update.zip but then say that it will make you reactivate the phone.

Does that mean it's like flashing the ROM? (and that one would have to restore apps and such from backups?) Or does this just affect the radio communication (so that we update, active or whatever, and then the phone is just a better version of what it was 4 minutes ago)?

Don't remember from last time I flashed the new baseband if I had to restore apps or not... Good question though.... Anyone have the answer????

Nope, nothing needed restoring, just flashed new baseband, didn't ask me for anything... just pressed 1 and waited until it was finished.

P.S. Not sure if it has anything to do with the new basebane or just Froyo, but this thing is like lightning now! You guys rock!

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
So what exactly did you do, if you don't mind me asking for excruciating detail... Download the zip file, place on the sdcard renaming it as update.zip, boot into Recovery, apply the update.zip, reactive the phone and enter one of the codes people here have been listing...? Or something else?

Thats how I did it except i didnt have to enter any code.

And since it ran as an update, none of your apps or settings or anything were overridden? I'm just gauging what kind of safety-backup I should do beforehand.

I find it odd that half the people here half to enter a code, half get weird response, and half didn't have to enter anything. And yes, I know that adds up to 150%.

Didnt mess with anything.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Nope, nothing needed restoring, just flashed new baseband, didn't ask me for anything... just pressed 1 and waited until it was finished.

P.S. Not sure if it has anything to do with the new basebane or just Froyo, but this thing is like lightning now! You guys rock!

Sweet. I'll check it out in a day or two.

But yeah, what about that signal strength? And are you guys going to stop keeping your phone in your pockets? You DO want to have kids someday, right? (jk!)

rebel541

Reaction score
I didn't have to enter anything special, just pressed 1. I don't see any signal improvement though, -100 before and after.

Reaction score
Try *22899 guys, should program it without asking all the password/ssn stuff.

Do this!

We activated a couple of phones at work today and ran into this problem. Apparently someone muffed some of the activation options at VZW so some regions are being asked for in depth info as if they are activating a phone purchased online.

A quick call to Agent Support directed us to skip the prompts (which we generally do anyhow). So *22899 it is!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Just an FYI for folks on Clockwork. I tried CW using the rom manger route by selecting a "rom" from the sdcard. This did not take/stick. I renamed the the file to update.zip and copied it to the root of my sd card. Then using Rom Manager, rebooted into recovery and performed the update.zip method. This stuck.

Just to add to the confusion, when the phone rebooted, it did prompt for the update prl/phone process. But this failed for me. I then used the *22899 manually and it updated without promting for anything. What was wierd was I am on a Wilson amp here at the house, and the failed update step turned the normally green led to red. I had to unplug the amp to get it to work. A little nerve wracking for a moment.

For those who are not familiar with the prl process in general, it is a good idea to update your prl from time to time. I have found that the easiest way is to create a phone contact called "Program Phone". Program this contact with *22899, and it makes the periodic update easy. By the way, the *22899 is different from this baseband update, and should be done somewhat routinely, although the prl update is the final step to this baseband upgrade.

And from a historical standpoint, when 2.1 came out, it was quite some time before we had a manual update method to the 2.1 baseband, and it was a little rocky. P3Droid is kicking some serious backside here. I figured there would be a baseband update in 2.2, but had no idea it would be available so quickly. Very well done.

Craig

xliderider

Reaction score
Just flashed. Im on 2.1 and everything went fine. Just hit 1 and it didnt aske for anything. It was alittle strange though phone booted all the way up and said "roaming indicator off" then activated. baseband version C_01.41.00R

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if 2.1 users could do this baseband update, I tried Froyo and my Droid lagged really bad and froze a lot going to home screen. I'm back on 1.1.

nagmier

Reaction score

Sweet. I'll check it out in a day or two.

But yeah, what about that signal strength? And are you guys going to stop keeping your phone in your pockets? You DO want to have kids someday, right? (jk!)

Can't wait for my MP3s to finish copying to my Droid so I can load this... grrrr

And Kids are overrated... TRUST me I have a 4yo and 2yo for sale lol j/k! ;)

MDW, P3 and DF Staff... you guys are amazing... I was overwhelmed by 2.2 sans wifi and not 48hrs later we are getting baseband updates! wow!

shooter_454

Reaction score

Do this!

We activated a couple of phones at work today and ran into this problem. Apparently someone muffed some of the activation options at VZW so some regions are being asked for in depth info as if they are activating a phone purchased online.

A quick call to Agent Support directed us to skip the prompts (which we generally do anyhow). So *22899 it is!
wow i wish it would have been that easy for me.Today(@2:00 pm) i flashed back to 2.0.1 to install 2.2 fresh,i was asked to enter phone # and ss it didnt work so i called the 1800# and was told to do this.

K...do you have insurance on your phone?
Yes i do.

alright this is what they had me do,tap the 4 corners of the screen(black part of the screen no white or grey areas) this is the start up screen with android on it.From top left to top right then to bottom right then bottom left,this will give you a home screen.Hit the phone icon then dail ##774726 hang up and do it again this will bring you into a option screen.Hit 01 something user is the name i just rememeber its the first one LOL getting old,then you will see box with min with #'s in it put your phone # in , then men(or it will have the same #'s as the min box had again getting old LOL) put you phone # in ,at the bottom you will see box with 2004 or something like that put 65 in hit done.And you should be able to set up your gmail....

This all happened fast while i was talking to the tech.Try it out and see if it works for you and if not call them,they didn't ask any ?'s.I did as i asked how did this happen and he said i don't know lol.

Reaction score

Do this!

wow i wish it would have been that easy for me.Today(@2:00 pm) i flashed back to 2.0.1 to install 2.2 fresh,i was asked to enter phone # and ss it didnt work so i called the 1800# and was told to do this.

I work for a VZW Agent, so we ran into it pretty early in the day lol dancedroid

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Just flashed. Im on 2.1 and everything went fine. Just hit 1 and it didnt aske for anything. It was alittle strange though phone booted all the way up and said "roaming indicator off" then activated. baseband version C_01.41.00R

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if 2.1 users could do this baseband update, I tried Froyo and my Droid lagged really bad and froze a lot going to home screen. I'm back on 1.1.

I had the same lag issue in Froyo. For me it actually underclocked itself below the regular 550Mhz it should run at. Installing an overclocking kernel and SetCPU allowed me to fix that, and now when running betwen 400 and 600 MHz the Droid FLIES. More on that in the Froyo threads, though.

shooter_454

Reaction score
Do this!

I work for a VZW Agent, so we ran into it pretty early in the day lol dancedroid
Thanks for sharing the 22899#,again mine happened early today also and had to talk to a tech over the phone and manually activate it.