New baseband -- loosing 3g

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by bodean, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bodean

bodean New Member

I've seen A LOT of people on here claiming they are loosing 3g with the new baseband update. I also experience this. Is there a known fix? An updated version of the baseband? Or do we have to flash back to an older baseband?
  2. joesaksx

joesaksx New Member

I lose it all the time. Its driving me crazy too
  3. bodean

bodean New Member

I was in Chicago O'Hare airport for 3 hours today, best I could get was 1G.
  4. joesaksx

joesaksx New Member

I'm in the middle of Nashville all day and for like half the day I didn't have 3g. I used to have absolutely everywhere
  5. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

I thought it was the new baseband too but I flashed the stock sbf with rsd lite (for other reasons) and ran my phone the the old basbaband as was still having this issue, I even had dropped call, first ever on my droid and first in years on verizon, I flashed the new baseband again yesterday fyi, and still having the issue
  6. joesaksx

joesaksx New Member

I'm sitting here on this thread on my phone and lost 3g. Terrible
  7. vrdubin6

vrdubin6 New Member

Hmm interesting. Obviously I am in the same boat as everyone else... used to get nothing but full bars in 3g while at home. I have been out of 3g multiple times this evening.
  8. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

maybe its just me but i seem to have better signal... am i crazy? or is my phone on 3G drugs?
  9. droidpcguru

droidpcguru New Member

Mine gets a better signal and less loss of 3G with the new baseband/ESE81-Based ROM

Quick fix--instead of waiting for hours..Power Button-Airplane Mode On, and then Power Button-Airplane Mode Off.. Works every time for me...
  10. pbdroid

pbdroid New Member

I've noticed that my WiFi tends to compete with 3g. If I lose 3g and I toggle my WiFi off, 3g comes back.
  11. doublejack

doublejack New Member

That's a useful tip. In fact, my WiFi is off almost all of the time. I only turn it on when I'm someplace that I know has WiFi and I plan to use it. Otherwise it is just eating away at your battery.
  12. fUry327

fUry327 New Member

I know this has probably already been said, but if it happened to me, and I have been modding my phones for years...it can certainly help someone here.

After installing the new basband over UD 9.8 I got the activation screen upon reboot and activated the phone. I didn't think anything of it at the time. After a couple days of using the new baseband I noticed the cell radio was without signal 50% solid all day. During that time I never noticed a decrease in my actual 3g signal strength and never dropped out of 3g. I did definitely notice a decrease in battery strength though.

The other day my wife was complaining of a dropped call so I told her to dial *228 and hit option 2. And thats when it hit me, I never did that after updating the baseband, I kind of assumed it would be involved with the whole activation thing ya know.

Since updating option 2 my battery life has returned to normal and I have 12 hours on battery, at 60%, and cell radio has no lost signal.

Try it if you haven't already.
  13. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

Dang, I forgot about option 2, lol. To tell you the truth I had *228'd with option 1.

It's only been a little bit but my phones showing full 3g signal and hasn't dipped once since! Hope this works for everyone(and continues to work for me) I'll stay posted with an update tonight.

Thanks fury
  14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I did this at work today. Like u said works every time..
  15. VolDroid

VolDroid New Member

Man, thanks for pointing this out. I forgot all about that option.
  16. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I've tried the above mentioned tips and have had mixed success. *228 option helped, but not much. I'm still losing 3G periodically. Initially after the radio update, I had improved signal. Went from -95db to around -75-80db, even in my basement. But now I'm back to the old signal strength. It would be nice if there was an actual "fix" for this issue instead of having to switch in and out of airplane mode or turn on/off wifi.
  17. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

*228 option 2 is a PRL(Preferred Roaming List) update and has no effect whatsoever on reception issues. It is strictly related to what networks will be available if you are outside of VZW coverage area and in what order they will be accessed by the phone. This is mythology that is instigated by VZW and their techs and is probably the most misunderstood aspect of CDMA cellular technology. The PRL is a critical component of the NVM and your phone will not work at all without it or if it becomes corrupt for whatever reason, but it will not have any effect on performance of the cellular radio or reception except in extremely isolated cases where the Alltel merger has created areas that have a weaker native VZW signal than the alltel system that is deprecated in the PRL. In these areas they issue special split PRLs to address the problem. The most commonly misunderstood aspect of the PRL is that it is a list of SIDs, NOT "towers" as many people call it. Any tower that goes active in a given system will immediately improve cellular signal to that area, whether or not you update the PRL, because that system is in the PRL that the tower is a part of. I just wanted to make this point because of all the misinformation surrounding the issue. Network problems are very complex and people look for simple solutions and often throw this one out as a panacea when they have no other answers.
  18. fUry327

fUry327 New Member

That may hold true for the average verizon customer, but we are not the average. We mod our phones and change things that would void our warranty.

You cant argue with results. Pre baseband update I always had 0% time without signal in cell standby. After updating to 3P I had 50% time without signal even though the actual 3g signal never dropped. After updating *228 option 2 I now have returned to 0% without signal and its been days since I updated.

I'm not the only one here this has worked for.

Its called a bug my friend, and such is life when you start modding your phone and changing roms and such.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  19. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

The fact of the matter is that you already had the latest PRL because when you had to activate the phone after flashing the baseband update that writes both the service programming(MIN, MDN, Home SID, etc.) as well as the PRL. So doing *228 option 2 a second time would not have changed anything. I am not saying that what you are seeing isn't happening, just that it is not a result of the PRL update. I am not here to argue about it, I am trying to provide a more complete understanding of the issue and dis spell false information. I have been flashing phones for years and have considerable experience with doing things that "void our warranty". ;)
  20. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Okay guys I seriously think that the new baseband screwed up my signal quality. I don't get as good 3g in places that I used to get 4 bars, I drop calls where I NEVER did before, me and a friend downloaded an app side by side and his was done in a few seconds, mine took like 5-10 minutes.

Is it possible to go back to the old baseband? So that I can test and see if it gets better again?