1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New Baseband Bad Service

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by iamloco724, Apr 8, 2010.

1. iamloco724

iamloco724 New Member

ever since manually updated the baseband on my phone my service where i use the phone the most has been horrible my prl also changed when doing this so i dont know if thats the reason or the baseband its self

ive tried countless times to update my prl but it doesnt change

any ideas on what i can do to improve my service by either getting new prl or change baseband back

my most recent speed test

download 202 up 36
  2. triplem007

triplem007 New Member

Man wtf, I have the EXACT same problem! Since I got the new baseband my d/l speeds have plummeted. I was getting 1.5mbps to 2.0mbps and now i am averaging from 200k-300k...its horrible and I have been looking everywhere on how to get back to the old baseband. I even tried flashing my phone using the .sbf like 5 times. Every time it would get to 100% but say fail...i would be on 2.0.1 stock every time but STILL with the old baseband...it sucks bro.
  3. iamloco724

iamloco724 New Member

if someone could help us out that would be great
  4. beneharris

beneharris New Member

you could flash a newer rom, they would have a working baseband
  5. iamloco724

iamloco724 New Member

most of the times roms dont change the baseband atleast thats what i heard and either way what would make ours not working when others have used it and not have the same problem so it merly we have to either get back to the old baseband or somehow improve it another way
  6. beneharris

beneharris New Member

no i reaize that, but what he flashed may not be totally jiving with what he has, i know that a warning when the guy compoiled that baseband was that it may not work.

so now that we have ese81 roms, it should be more compatible
  7. biglipps66

biglipps66 New Member

I was iffy about this change as well... Im not sure if mine is better or worse at this point. I did speed tests during the day and they werent too quick but the test I did last night around the same time I have been testing was actually the fastest speed Ive had yet. Almost 3mb down and 1up. I made some backups before I made the change and Ill continue testing before I switch it back at this point.
  8. madsquabbles

madsquabbles New Member

mine's worse also. dl speeds are down to 800Kb when they used to be over 1Mb. plus connecting to 3g used to be instantaneous where now it takes up to 30 seconds and sometimes needs multiple attempts to connect.

i'm using bd 9.8 rom and tested before and after changing the baseband.
  9. elektronikbadger

elektronikbadger New Member

I'm seeing the same thing... I'm on Pete's 2.1 rooted, no roms... DL/UL around 300kbps. I've tried factory resets and rebooting but the speeds increace a little in the evening...

I'm hoping someone has an idea what's happening... until then, slow DL's.
  10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Gang,

You guys are the first to report this enmass. Absolutely not doubting you, but most are reporting great increases in performance.

The first thing I would say is that going back, if possible, might be fine for confirming that you do not have hardware problems, but I am assuming the baseband upgrade corresponds with some tweak at the tower level by VZW. Therefore, the final solution really needs to be fixing what is broke with the new update on your phone.

I saw a thread somewhere, describing the efforts of one user who had to get VZW to actually tweak their towers in his location. I don't have it handy, but will try and find it. In the mean time, this is what I would suggest. First, there are two files out there on the thread on Alldroid that I linked days ago. There is Steve's file and Gearheads. Gearheads was pulled from the actual 2.1 OTA, so I would try reflashing that one. That link is here in the hacks section on this page or the next, entitled "Major BaseBand News....".

The other thing I would try is perhaps the *22899 direct prl update if you have tried previously *228 then using the dialer pad to the other options. The *22899 probably does the same thing, but it is how I have been doing it, and couldn't hurt.

As to trying to see if there is a common thing happening to all of you, it might help to know what rom's you guys are using, to see if there is a common issue with all of you that might point to a unique problem. I honestly don't think it can be rom related, but we'll never know unless you guys help us out with what you are all using.

I also think that perhaps a visit or call to your local VZW store might be in order. Or evan a call to VZX National. Back to my first point about that guy that had to get his towers tweaked at the VZW level, he mentioned something about competing towers causing problems. Do all of you live in areas with lots of towers (i.e. big cities)? Perhaps if you are prling from one location, you can retry at a different location where you are hitting a different tower. Like work/school v. home? Or at least check the speeds at different locations?

It is also possible that the call to VZW National might get a tweak to the options under the prl setting that might be needed for your particular location. I honestly feel that the issue is bigger than the particular file that you flashed, or the particular rom that you are on, unless perhaps all of you are on the Desire beta rom.

Craig
  11. justin8338

justin8338 New Member

I did the baseband update as well, and my speeds actually seemed better at first but then like you took a dip, but I don't think it's the update, I think it was a VZ issue. My speeds seem much better today and a friend with a VZ BlackBerry was having speed issues as well.

How are yours today?
  12. justin8338

justin8338 New Member

Just took this one from within our data center so it shouldn't be great.

[​IMG]

and I took this one on the 8th, in an area that should be fine.

[​IMG]
  13. madsquabbles

madsquabbles New Member

i've done prl update as you requested, even though i'd done it after installing the new baseband.

today's a bit worse - avg is around 400kb. uploads have remained the same - ~250kb.

i made sure every test was done with the same server each time and the first time i tested was just before the baseband update and then after.

it doesn't really matter much anyways since most the time i'm around a wifi access point.
  14. gardobus

gardobus New Member

I tethered my computer to my droid using PDAnet and got OK results.

Then I tethered it to my computer using my friends Droid with PDAnet also and it was SO much faster.

Same computer, same location, same usb cable, only difference was that his phone has the old baseband.
  15. VolDroid

VolDroid New Member

From what I've read from here and other forums, there are a couple different baseband updates floating around. This is the link to the one that is supposed to be the official one: http://alldroid.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1170&d=1270146038 I installed earlier and haven't had any issues yet, in fact things seem to be running faster.
  16. gardobus

gardobus New Member

For some reason alldroid is giving me database errors when I click that link :( I'll keep trying it though.
Search tags for this page

baseband apk