New apps inflict severe battery usage

Marshall5

Reaction score
I have a Droid X which I rooted about a month ago.

About a week ago, I installed 4 or 5 apps in one day. That was the day which my battery life went down the drain. I installed a couple of apps that dealt with the battery icon. I wanted one that showed me the actual percentage on the home screen. Anyways, I don't know if one of those apps were packed with some kind of virus, but my phone is definitely eating the battery up very rapidly, and my task killer does not appear to be handling whatever it is.

Whenever I turn my screen on, say I am just sitting and reading something on the screen, the back of the phone near the speaker hole gets very hot. The battery will go from fully charged to near dead in just 2 hours of having the phone on. I even bought the extended battery last week, so I know my battery is good.

The weird thing is that my stock battery manager on the phone always says the largest portion of battery is being used by the screen. Usually like 61% for example. Will just having the screen on a bright setting by itself cause the Droid X to become hot near the bottom rear of the phone, or is this surely an app that is eating the batt?

My battery manager has also been crashing a bunch, and I did uninstall those other battery apps I downloaded. It won't open today at all it seems, just says it stopped running when I attempt to open it, the makes me force close.

I tried two different anti-virus programs, but the only thing it is telling me is wrong is my wireless tether program, since it is a version for rooted phone, and also my setting that allows unconfirmed software or whatever. But it finds no viruses or spyware I guess.

Here's something that caught my eye. I have an add showing up when I run certain apps that says "your battery is dying too quickly" or something similar. It's like whatever I downloaded used something to eat the batt, then is attempting to get me to click on software to get me to solve the problem.

How can I basically strip my phone down to a secure state, in that I know for sure nothing malicious is left on the phone?

Thanks for any help with this very frustrating experience.

scsa20

Reaction score
I find task killers useless in the first place tbh. Now, for your issue, i'd probably world format your data and system of your phone using the bootstrap recovery or just do a complete format with the normal recovery and not install any apps for awhile at first to see if battery life came back. If battery life is back to normal start installing apps back one at a time. Each time you install an app give it a day or two to see what happens. Once you install an app that starts to eat up your battery life uninstall it and avoid that app. Hope this helps ya.

Sent from my DROIDX