New app leaves GPS on.Whats an easy way to turn it off?

kingfish

Reaction score
I just downloaded a really nice Movie app but it leaves the gps on even after I finish using the app. Its killing my battery. Is there a quick and easy way to turn the gps off? Thanks.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
King,

If you can tolerate a widget, long press on one of your home screens. Press widget, scroll down to power control, and press.

This will add a widget to let you control wifi, bluetooth, gps, google sync and screen brightness (left to right). GPS is in the middle.

Craig

OP
K

kingfish

Reaction score
King,

If you can tolerate a widget, long press on one of your home screens. Press widget, scroll down to power control, and press.

This will add a widget to let you control wifi, bluetooth, gps, google sync and screen brightness (left to right). GPS is in the middle.

Craig

Thanks. I can now use the app. I just turn gps off, then on, and the symbol stays off. Its a little work, but worht the battery power that I save.

M

Matth3w

Shouldn't have to turn GPS off and potentially **** other stuff up like News/Weather widget just because a program is doing that.

I have been noticing recently that I have had the same problem with the GPS staying on longer than it should.

This is a perfect reason why I use a task killer. "Don't worry about programs running in the background they say". Yeah, BULL****. When the programs eat your battery by leaving functions of the phone on, you need to close them out until they can fix the bugs.

Droids

Reaction score
Shouldn't have to turn GPS off and potentially **** other stuff up like News/Weather widget just because a program is doing that.

I have been noticing recently that I have had the same problem with the GPS staying on longer than it should.

This is a perfect reason why I use a task killer. "Don't worry about programs running in the background they say". Yeah, BULL****. When the programs eat your battery by leaving functions of the phone on, you need to close them out until they can fix the bugs.
This is poor programming on the developers end, the person that wrote that app. You should be able to leave GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth on all day long without hurting the battery. Someone writes an app that needs one of these services and doesn't code it right, well you need to complain to the developer. My GPS is on 24/7 now and the icon in the notification panel is only there when an app is actually using it.

The Android operating system was built to avoid all these issues, but Google has no control over crappy wanna-be programmers, any more than Microsoft does.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Task killers are useful if used properly. Normally a task killer is completely unnecessary but there are situations where they are needed. I think there are a lot of posts/threads strongly discouraging their use since there are a lot of newbies that assume that Android works the way their former device did. It's really not uncommon for people to cause problems from task killer misuse.

"Don't worry about programs running in the background" is a guideline and not a hard rule.

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
With 10K+ apps in the market, if an app is misbehaving, I replace the *APP* not run taskkiller which can cause other potential problems. BTW, You can shut down a particular app at any time on the Droid, by going to Setting/Applications/Running Services, you don't need a "Task Killer" to shut things down.

Silver Member
Reaction score
a task killer is a problem for three reasons:

1. scheduling of apps to be closed is a terrible idea and most people end stuff because they are unaware that they use it, leading to other issues.

2. most task killers have to remain resident, adding to the apps list that are taking up resources. not only that, but task killers constantly poll your resources to find out where things stand. all of this eats precious cycles.

3. two task killers are already built in to your phone: running services and application management.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 Jay, I agree.

So far it has been malcoded apps, not the OS that are the issue.

If you guys get an misbehaving app, do everyone a favor and contact the Developer right off! 98% of the time they would love to hear that:

1. You installed their app.
2. That you like, love, abuse, hate it.
3. That you are having a problem!

This can happen to any app, I love repeating that one of the first google maps updates was to fix this very issue, the app left the GPS on after being shut down, and that was from Google!

Properly coded apps will allow you to leave everything on and only be in use when needed. I've run mine that way since I got it, and have a normal 3/4 to one day life just like I would expect from a smartphone of this caliber, also factoring in what I use during the day.