new anticipated amateur radio app not working!!!

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by razorseal, Aug 27, 2010.

1. razorseal

razorseal New Member

I'm an amateur radio operator and there is this program we use called 'echolink' to connect to repeater towers to get on the air to talk to other radios... it's pretty much PC to handheld/mobile OTA radios...

well, there has been an app for the iphone for a while, and the android version JUST came out... I was playing with it on my friend's droid (he has some rom called gem something, I forget) and it works perfect. on mine however the sound keeps going in and out on the receive end, xmit is fine...

I tried 3G and wifi, and get the same results... it's hard to explain so I'm going to get a video of it to explain better, I think it's a rom issue because nobody is reporting the same problem that I'm having

can you help chevyno1?

you can't login to the app unless you are an amateur radio operator, but if you PM me, I'll let you use my info to test what is going on with echolink's test server...

thanks!

eta- the video to help troubleshoot

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Tell me what exactly you're using and I'll install what you've got and see if it is on Chevy's end. I don't believe it is. I was one of the beta testers for EchoLink and there was no ROM specific issues, neither 2.1 or 2.2 issues. There were some devices that aren't working well, but that's it. EchoLink for Sapphire and UD work flawlessly. What is your OC set at? Maybe you should set it lower to start.
  3. razorseal

razorseal New Member

It's at 700mhz, I'm using SS 4.7 and Echolink with the stock kernel that SS comes with

as far as what I'm using, it's echolink that I'm having problems with
  4. razorseal

razorseal New Member

ok, added video for troubleshooting
  5. Vulcan1600

Wow, I watched your video and then I connected to the test server and it was just fine. One thing you might want to try to do is click settings, go to the Network Connection and select Public Proxy. The Connection might be the culprit. Also, I have my Mic Gain set at +12 db - although that wouldn't have anything to do with your audio issue. That was terrible! Mine sounded just like EchoLink on my computer sounds. PM me with your callsign, maybe we can hook up on the Echolink and troubleshoot over the weekend. Try the Public Proxy first though. 73.
  6. razorseal

razorseal New Member

We can talk via echolink, but the problem is even happening on test server so...

I tried direct, but haven't tried public proxy... what is the diff between that and relay?

I just don't think it's network related as my xmit sounds just fine, but the incoming voice is not getting lagged, but more like getting split as it's being decoded by the android os. it's actually pausing between the transmissions, it's not really cutting out where you miss partof the transmission...

really weird, I'm even thinking about doing a fresh SS install, see how it goes, then do a restore and see if that fixes anything. I doubt I'll use echolink much, but it's too great of a tool to have and not be able to use :)
  7. Vulcan1600

Actually I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between direct and public proxy, but behind my firewall at my home wifi, I had to switch to public proxy. Give it a try, reset the Echolink and go back to the test server and see if it fixed it. Another idea that you already mentioned was do a fresh install....yes, unfortunately, do a wipe too before you reinstall. I still find it hard to believe it would be Chevy kernel related. Also, sent you a PM with my callsign. Maybe we can hook up on Echolink.
  8. razorseal

razorseal New Member

works in wifi/public proxy, but that's it :(

I'm going to reinstall SS 4.7, install echolink and see what happens, then restore all

if that doesn't work I'll try cyanogen and see what that does, and if that doesn't work i'll be back to SS and be limited to wifi echolink :(
  9. razorseal

razorseal New Member

just did a wiped fresh install of SS 4.7, only thing I installed was echolink, and same issue... going to install cyanogen and see how it works now

I'm really sad it isn't working with SS 4.7 (at least for me)

so it works fine on your SS 4.7?
  10. rcfx

rcfx New Member

I'm on 4.7 and echolink works great for me. Public or private proxy is the only two that will work though. Wifi or 3g it dosn't seem to matter much. I really think this is the best rom to be using as it's great on memory issues. I have not had one redraw on 4.7 and on the others had them bad. W7RCG
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  11. razorseal

razorseal New Member

yeah, it's a SS issue...

I went to cyanogen, and echolink works perfect.

public proxy won't login to anything on 3G, but it does on wifi.

I'm on cyanogen now and setting it how I need to set it, I'm going to make a backup of it, and go back to SS and troubleshoot more, if not though I might have to go to cyanogen, and I really don't want to

so can you all confirm that relay mode does not work on SS 4.7? I reallllyyyy don't want to swtich but if I can't get this app to work, I might have to

can chevy chime in here?
  12. packfan678

packfan678 New Member

I am on the latest stable version of Cyanogen now and I am having issues. I am having problems with the Echolink screen being misaligned (even in the popup settings) and when I press the camera button to talk the camera opens up. I am using the Droid 1.

I read a comment on the market that said the camera problem might be because of being rooted, I will test this tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix the misalignment.

EDIT:

no joy
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
Search tags for this page

amateur radio android

echolink galaxy s3

echolink mike gain tablets

how to end app echolink on droid

installing echolink on pidora

what is the difference between echolink relay and echolink p