New anti-tethering tactic from Verizon?

B-Unit

Reaction score
I don't know if any of my fellow grandfathered unlimited users are seeing this issue, but for a couple weeks now (actually coincidentally the same time the new net neutrality rules dropped) I am unable to even access the Netflix site on any PC while tethered. I am still able to get to the Netflix site on my phone's browser and the phone app works fine. I had presumed it might be temporary, but my billing cycle reset today and there is no change in the behavior. Any thoughts?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I don't have hotspot on any of my unlimited lines.. Does it work for any other sites?

With everything that's going on.. Idk.. I'm sure you've probably already tried the little things like rebooting.. Though it wouldn't likely be the culprit.. That's the first thing I typically try..

Is your hotspot unlimited too??

OP
B-Unit

B-Unit

Reaction score
YouTube is unaffected, I don't use any other video services so cant say on them. All other websites appear to be unaffected.

I have rebooted, both my PCs and the phone, as well as attempting an ipconfig /flushdns on the PCs, all to no avail.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, I have unlimited data but no tethering agreement, I am using the entitlement bypass hack to get around Verizon's software limitations on tethering.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
YouTube is unaffected, I don't use any other video services so cant say on them. All other websites appear to be unaffected.

I have rebooted, both my PCs and the phone, as well as attempting an ipconfig /flushdns on the PCs, all to no avail.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, I have unlimited data but no tethering agreement, I am using the entitlement bypass hack to get around Verizon's software limitations on tethering.

I wonder if that has something to do with it. My sister is temporarily using the unlimited hotspot on her phone (which she's paying Verizon for) as the only internet connection at her house, and she can stream Netflix via her Roku without issue.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah.. Check and see if you still have root... Then go in and change the value on your entitlement.. If it's 0,make it a 1, or the other way around.. Then reboot and change it back... It's been a while for me.. But hope this works.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Grandfathered unlimited here and Netflix works fine through both our FireStick & BluRay player via tether (FoxFi) on both our S5s.

S5 tap'n

OP
B-Unit

B-Unit

Reaction score
No dice, gave up and looked around XDA, found an updated version of 'WiFi Tether for Root users' that doesn't trigger the VZW Tethering notification, Netflix is back. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!