New Android Numbers, Less "Fragmented"

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
android2.PNG

If you browse the web often, you almost certainly have seen many Android fragmentation comments; interestingly enough Google’s latest numbers indicate Android’s latest versions are running on 90% of all devices. This number was produced earlier today, and says 9/10 Android phones are running Éclair (Android 2.1) or newer. FroYo controls the largest margin with 57.6 devices running that version of Android. Android 1.5 and 1.6’s margins are slowly getting smaller and hopefully everyone will soon be in 2.X margin and all fragmentation comments will rest.

Source (Android 2.1 and up now on 90 percent of all Android devices | Android Central)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, maybe not so encouraging when you consider over 1/3 of the Android devices shipped in Q4 (33.3M) and I would assume all had at least Eclair.

In other words, those numbers tell us little about upgrades being pushed because a large % of those phones have never been upgraded, they've just shipped in the last 6 months.

But you can't talk fragmentation without considering installed base, and the growth in installed base just trumps all right now.

Amagine

Reaction score
It's honestly no more fragmented than RIM's blackberrys I'm pretty sure that there are TONS that are still on OS 4.5.3 not even 5.0 let alone the new OS6. That's just here in the US. Austrailia typically will let loose newer OSes before the US vendors will. With apple they make ONE PHONE, ONE WAY. You can't fragment something when there's no division.

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
With new os dropping as much as new phones are this will still be a problem hell the droid bionic hasn't even dropped yet but could already be outdated!

J

Johnly

Did it occur to anyone that fragmentation means to part a whole? As far as I know, all those OS systems were designed as a whole complete OS. I am just a piper and don't know much....get well sir jobs.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Meanwhile 2.3 is on like 4 % or something. And that is the one I want.

Gingerbread is .8 % of that pie chart.

I have GB =]

Wondering if they accounted for all the rooted phones running GB roms? Hmmmm..

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok.....8%. And I am wanting the official GB. I am going to run the Liberty ROM shortly on my D2 until it is released. I think that is as close as it gets. My wife is running Bugless Beast on her D1 and loves it.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
ok.....8%. And I am wanting the official GB. I am going to run the Liberty ROM shortly on my D2 until it is released. I think that is as close as it gets. My wife is running Bugless Beast on her D1 and loves it.

lol.. No, POINT .8 percent.

Have you tried UD3.0 (gb) on either your d1 or her d2?

Cdjones187

Reaction score

lol.. No, POINT .8 percent.

Have you tried UD3.0 (gb) on either your d1 or her d2?

sorry, its early for me, got what you meant, to many ..... to realize