New and just got a droid 1

tsmith7461

Reaction score
I just purchased a Droid 1, that is a factory refurb that hasn't been used. Not sure what version of android it will be running, wont see it till late next week. Should I root first or install updates first? I'm very new to this but just sounds like to much fun to pass on. I see there are tons of roms out there. Any thoughts on which is best?? Any and all ideas would be great... thanks in advance Tom

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Welcome to the forum. It will probably be up to date as far as OS so if you're interested in rooting take this time and read and make sure you understand it all. Ask questions now so you'll have a good grasp on it when you get the phone. Good luck and you're gonna love you new phone.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
T

tsmith7461

Reaction score
Thanks Jstaff I'm looking forward to playing :).. Hard to really know what to ask without having the phone in hand to start playing .

OP
T

tsmith7461

Reaction score
Though there would be some ideas on roms. Anyone?? Are any easier to install than others or all about the same.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Some people have had bad luck with refurbs. I would use it for a while to make sure it works correctly before rooting/rom-ing.

ballmore

Reaction score
One of the best things about being a rooted user is that you would get to try all of the roms that you want and decide for yourself which one is best. A lot of rooted users only stay on a rom for a week or two before moving on. Just remember to make backups before flashing any rom, theme, or metamorph. I might leave some top roms out but here is a short list of my favorites.

1. The Ultimate Droid
2. Shadow Rom
3. ChevyNo1
4. Liquid Frozen Yogurt
5. CyanogenMod

And last but only because it hasn't even been released to the public yet is called: The Sourcery Rom
From all acounts this rom is supposed to be "something special and cool." The guys plan to release it on Christmas day.

I know that you are itching to try out all of the cool things that a droid can do but keep your droid running stock for a while. You will have enough to blow your mind with just the regular features. Plus like the previous post said, it's a refurb. Keep it a while to make sure that it's not a lemon. In the mean time there are plenty of threads to read and reread before ever actualy rooting. Have fun with your new droid.

bigjonmoo73

Reaction score
I've tried out a couple different ROMs and I have to say that Ultimate Droid does it for me. Tons of people that know what they are talking about, as well as features for your phone and tons of themes!

P-Droid77

Reaction score
Its all gonna depend on what u r looking for in a rom. Some people prefer to have a simple rom and some people go for a rom with more options to play with. Pretty much all of the roms on this site r developed by very smart people or groups of people. And being open source its fun to colaborate with others to help them develop roms ...(since i have no idea how to develop....yet) ;-)

Sent from my Android using DroidForums App