1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New and Confused

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by EricTheRed, Oct 24, 2010.

1. EricTheRed

EricTheRed New Member

I'm sorry if this topic is wrong, but I'm very confused.

This is my first smartphone, so I've never done anything like this.
    I got my Droid X on October 6th, and it pretty much still has the same settings it did when it was activated.
    I want to root my phone for one reason only, the free, unlimited WiFi internet for my laptop.

What are the risks of rooting my phone? Is it worth it?

And if I do it, whats the best program to use to root my phone? And what do I do after rooting it to get to the free WiFi?

I apologize again for the dumb topic, but I am not tech savy in the least, and I'm somewhat afraid to play with such an expensive electronic.

Thank you
  2. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

You say you're not very tech savvy. In my opinion that is pretty much required to root any of our phones so I personally would recommend you don't, but to each their own. The risk is first, you'll void your warranty, second, you'll get stuck and temporarily make your phone useless until you get some help, third totally screw up and make your phone forever useless. All you really have to do is read, read, read, and then read some more and when you feel comfortable, print out the right guide and follow it carefully while checking off the steps as you go. If it fails anywhere, STOP, make a note and post a question either here or at the DF sister site droidxforums.net.

On a lighter note, I have a Droid 1, but there is a thread at this site in the Rescue Squad Guides section entitled Multiple Phones, root,etc. that has a ton of DX owners happily rooted. Once you've got root, then just look for wireless tether; either google it or find it in my collection.

good luck