New and already LOST!!!

CAS

Reaction score
So...Hi my name is Celeste and I just purchased the Droid Razr from Verizon tonight. I found this forum and already I think I am going to send it right back! First off they NEVER EVER told me I would have to pay extra for a hot spot and I told them that is exactly what I needed it for! Luckily I read some posts here that said I can hotspot for free through several different apps. Problem is... I have no idea what tethering is or how to getthese apps???? (it's hell to get old!)

So I recently bought a Kindle Fire and though I love it for what it is...I would like to use the web while not sitting at home in my comfy chair connected to my MiFi :) so I called Verizon (my cell service provider) and thought it was perfect because my old archaic (non data) phone was dying and I needed a new one. They told me in order to sync to my Kindle I would need a Droid phone...ok so I ordered one.

NOW WHAT! I'm lost, where do I go from here ????

Thanks,
Celeste

ekf028

Reaction score
Tethering is another word for hotspot I guess you could say.
Foxfi is a good, easy to use app for it and does not require root (that's a topic for another time lol). Just search the google play store for it. Happy tethering!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
CAS

CAS

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I can already see I will be spending some quality time on this forum :happy3: I am new to the Droid/Kindle world so I have a lot to learn! Glad I found you guys!!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Welcome to DF CAS! Glad you joined us! :biggrin: Like ekf028 mentioned in his post, FoxFi would be the app to try!

OP
CAS

CAS

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I always thought I was computer and tech savy but I think this phone is gonna need a little more of my attention than any of my last phones. I was very reluctant to go with a smart phone only because I'm...well, ok I will say it CHEAP! I just had a hard time with paying the extra $30 a month just to have internet on a phone so I just never did it. Well I have seen it in the "cards" LOL... it is inevitable...so I finally took the plunge!

I'm sure I will love it when I get and wonder how I ever did without it! Thanks for all the support because I am gonna need it :blink:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tethering is another word for hotspot I guess you could say.
Foxfi is a good, easy to use app for it and does not require root (that's a topic for another time lol). Just search the google play store for it. Happy tethering!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

There is a difference, though.

Tethering generally implies sharing the phone's internet connection with a single PC/device, either via a USB cable; or an Ad-hoc Wifi network. Bluetooth can also be used for tethering. The disadvantages of this are that ad-hoc networks are not universally compatible, USB cables are not always handy, and not all devices support bluetooth.

The hotspot app, on the other hand, configures the phone to act as a true wifi access point. It runs in what is known as infrastructure mode, which is pretty much universally compatible; and supports multiple device connections. Essentially, it makes your phone act exactly like your home wifi router, except the internet is coming from VZW's network, and not a landline ISP.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome! Hopefully you have been able to use some of the info in this thread to get ya headed in the right direction!

OP
CAS

CAS

Reaction score
Thanks! Well I am "chomping at the bit" because my phone isn't here yet! Now the tracking says tomorrow :( so hopefully I will get to start putting all this information to good use tomorrow :)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Uh oh tomorrow!! Congrats and let us know how it is :biggrin: