New Amazon Shopping app?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was reading some articles today at lunch time about Google removing the Amazon app from the Play Store. Apparently Amazon violated some of the Play Store rules. It looks like Amazon released a new app called Amazon Shopping to replace the no longer supported Amazon app. Just curious if anyone has tried out the new Amazon Shopping app and is it just as good for basic browsing & shopping?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Call me crazy, but I just ordered some things a couple of days ago online through their previous app. It is no longer on my phone now. Very strange.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Should be just the same as the Amazon app was before they hid the ability to download apps from their app store in it.

That was the rule they broke. The Amazon appstore had to be sideloaded because it's against the Google Play terms to have an appstore app. They circumnavigated it when they tucked app purchases and downloads directly in to the app that was originally just for shopping. Kinda makes sense now why they never pushed for people to just use that one app for everything and/or even advertise that apps were available through there.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I saw in the previous update that they added the ability to buy apps. I wondered if that would upset Google...guess it did.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's odd, the original app is still on my phone and works. But it will no longer get updates. I guess I'll download the new one and see how it works.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm. Yeah. I just opened mine (the old one) & it even took me to the free app of the day page when I tapped it. Didn't try to install it, but it still seems to function.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup. It's pre-installed on my note 4 as well. Next launcher wouldn't let me uninstall it & in the application manager, I can turn it off & uninstall updates.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Mine isn't even on my phone anymore.

James_Watson

Reaction score
Yes, Google play store removed the Amazon app as it found that the app has the ability to download apps from their own app store, the amazon appstore. This violated some of the Play Store rules. :(