New 3D Home Replacement Coming Soon

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority here, but it looks more for form over function, like "hey look what I can do". I text message a ton. Scrolling through all that Rolodex looking widget to me looks about as pleasing as crapping on the floor.

As if home replacement apps weren't slow enough, I can't imagine how this will handle even overclocked to 1GHz or more.

Well apparently this demo is running on an HTC Hero, so if it can on that I'm sure it'll run quite nicely on our Powerhouse phones!! But I agree it's somewhat a little gimicky but I still wanna try it!!
1) How are they able to optimize it so well when something like GDE lags like a mofo

2) What do you suppose they are using to record the video? I can never get clear images like that when trying to record my phone, like for a how to or something

1) I have no idea lol from the youtube comments they mention using OpenGLES2? I really don't know if that means anything lol, optimized to use the GPU maybe?

2) Well considering they worked with google I'm guessing they're a company with money? My guess is it's a similar setup for those iCrap demonstration videos? lol no idea

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well apparently this demo is running on an HTC Hero, so if it can on that I'm sure it'll run quite nicely on our Powerhouse phones!! But I agree it's somewhat a little gimicky but I still wanna try it!!
1) How are they able to optimize it so well when something like GDE lags like a mofo

2) What do you suppose they are using to record the video? I can never get clear images like that when trying to record my phone, like for a how to or something

1) I have no idea lol from the youtube comments they mention using OpenGLES2? I really don't know if that means anything lol, optimized to use the GPU maybe?

2) Well considering they worked with google I'm guessing they're a company with money? My guess is it's a similar setup for those iCrap demonstration videos? lol no idea

1. If they said they're using OpenGLES2, that means that they're incorporating the GPU... it will probably work pretty well then, but will also be a battery hog :icon_ devil:

2. they seemed to have worked on the initial GUI/look of Android, so GUIs are nothing new for this company. i trust it will run pretty well when released... can't wait to try it out :)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It's called _really_knowing how to write code.

It's what separates the men from the boys : )

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. If they said they're using OpenGLES2, that means that they're incorporating the GPU... it will probably work pretty well then, but will also be a battery hog :icon_ devil:

2. they seemed to have worked on the initial GUI/look of Android, so GUIs are nothing new for this company. i trust it will run pretty well when released... can't wait to try it out :)
Yeah, I thought the same. After making the assumption I was like "wait...wouldn't that use a lot of battery? That's like running a 3D game all time...right?"
I just wish I could video record the phone like that.
From what I've seen those FlipCamHD's seem to record pretty well, maybe FlipCamHD + Tripod?

M

Matth3w

Well after watching the video three times now, I change my stance. I REALLY want this. I just want to know WHEN we can see it.

What the Droid needs though is an extended slim battery.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that the iPhone 3GS is the first iPhone to support OpenGL ES 2.0 while the iPhone 3G only supports OpenGL ES 1.0. It was supposed to improve graphics for games.

I have always stayed away from home replacement apps because they usually use up too much memory for my liking. That one looks really neat, but I could see myself getting tired of it within a month. There's something about Android's simplicity that I just love.

Last edited:

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well after watching the video three times now, I change my stance. I REALLY want this. I just want to know WHEN we can see it.

What the Droid needs though is an extended slim battery.

the best thing you can do right now is sign up on their website.

TAT Home join the preview and get early access... yada yada yada

M

Matth3w

I remember reading that the iPhone 3gs is the first iPhone to support OpenGL ES 2.0 while the iPhone 3G only supports OpenGL ES 1.0. It was supposed to improve graphics for games.

I have always stayed away from home replacement apps because they usually use up too much memory for my liking. That one looks really neat, but I could see myself getting tired of it within a month. There's something about Android's simplicity that I just love.
That's kind of what I was getting at in my first post in this thread...especially if my battery doesn't last all day anymore.

Reaction score

Booya! This is a win! You know cereal killer, that is why I get a question mark on my face when people use the word "bloat" so lightly when talking about new innovations.

M

Matth3w

If this thing really is truly using the graphics engine, which is then more or less like playing homerunbattle3d every time your phone is on, then the battery is going to last all of 4 or 5 hours I would guess and be hot as hell to the touch.

Hopefully they have some sort of work around or it's not as it appears.

Reaction score
Depends, if the coders can find a way to fully null the native home launcher, then it won't drain the battery life. Remind yourselves that when running these home replacement applications, the native home is still running in the background.

I want to test this badly.

M

Matth3w

That's my point, in addition to this crazy ass home replacement you still have the stock in the background. That program Sweeter Home even at 1GHz lags my phone like crazy.

Hopefully they can do what you said and basically eliminate the stock home or somehow reduce it to next to nothing memory usage. I still think the battery drain is going to be pretty significant though.