1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Never would have believed it - switching kernels

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Canefan, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Canefan

Canefan New Member

I have been a BB user since the very beginning and had been enjoying 0.4 since it's release. I had been suffering from many of the same problems that others have been posting about - home screen redraws, slow response for certain apps, slow market etc. There seemed to be a general lagginess at times. I would swipe between homescreens for instance and it would take several tries before the phone responded. Not always, but enough to be annoying.

Another poster started a thread about one of the P3Droid kernels completely changing the responsiveness of his phone and I decided to give that a try. That ended up being an epic fail as not one of the P3Droid kernels would boot on my phone. I had been running Chevy01s MV 1.0Ghz kernel and as an experiment tried switching to Chevy01's LV 0.8Ghz kernel. The difference is unbelievable. Every problem that I had with the phone is now gone. Every screen pops up instantaneously when I select things. The homescreen redraws (using ADW launcher) are completely gone as well. The phone is much much snappier and runs cooler as well. This echos the result that the other poster had when he downgraded his clock speed as well.

For those of you having these or other issues, try one of the sub 1.0Ghz kernels. Use whatever you've been running (Chevy01, P3Droid, etc.) and go with the 0.8 version. If you're like me, you may be amazed at the difference. Maybe these phones just don't like going that fast.
  2. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

yes, this happens often. the droid is only rated for 600, so overclocking is going over the rated speed. if you go too high youll have problems, too low youll get random reboots. the speed/stability balance ive found is around 125-800.
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I'll give this a shot. 1000 kernel worked well on BB0.3 and earlier for me, but even it seems to lag a bit on BB0.4 and the 1100/1200 seem much better.

Going to give this a shot, but I suspect the kernel is not the problem or solution (to redraws) just that for whatever reason the lag and redraws are more prevalent/noticeable in some cases. Froyo changed android's memory management and that's what is causing the issue, so I don't see why kernels are going to be the problem, though conceivable some compound the issue more than others.

Like others, keeping fingers crossed that the final release of Froyo will have addressed this issue.
  4. silvere2

silvere2 New Member

Noticed the same thing, ran 1200 for a while, went down to 800 and the phone is overall more responsive.
  5. racketier

racketier New Member

I wish I could edit your title to make it more descriptive. I'm glad I randomly clicked on this thread.

I'm trying it out now with the bekit 8ghz low voltage kernel. I normally use the 1.0ghz ulv chevy kernel but chevy isn't in rom manager and I'm feeling lazy. (I did make a backup in case bekit doesn't play nice)

Hope you are right. If I'm having issues I'll try the chevy 8ghz and report back.
  6. gan777

gan777 New Member

Interesting... Has anyone tried just clocking the Kernel down a few slots to see if there is a similar change? Say you have a 1200MHz Kernel and you use SetCPU to slow it down to 800MHz? Or are you saying you would need to completely swap the Kernels?
  7. racketier

racketier New Member

I'm interested in this as well. I guess I should have tried that first! dancedroid

UPDATE: I couldn't boot past the motorola screen and my phone just heated up. Guess it doesn't like bekit much...guess I'll go back to chevy 1.0ghz and try setting 800mhz as max in setcpu
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. joeybarclay

joeybarclay New Member

i noticed my phone is much faster moving from chevyno1s kernels to p3droid kernel
  9. gan777

gan777 New Member

I just tried clocking my 1200MHz Kernel down and only have slots at 700 or 850, but it does seem much snapier at both speeds, I had terrible redraw on Launcher Pro and it seems to pop up instantly now!

Thanks for pointing this out!

BTW, I never had much luck on the Bekit Kernels, always ran much hotter for me...
  10. the3dolla

the3dolla New Member

I agree as well. On bb 2.1 I used the included 1ghz kernel and it ran well. Lately I've used a 1ghz lv kernel and I've had odd redraws and general slowness. I used setcpu to run it at 900mhz, still bad. Just downgraded to the 800 chevy lv kernel and so far no redraws, just seems to work better.
  11. Smeech

Smeech New Member

I assume the p3 kernals are the only ones compatible with temp monitor 3 that now has CPU temp support (go to MyDroidWorld - Your #1 Android source!) if you don't know what I'm talking about. Anyone try that with a non p3 kernal?
  12. dpaine88

dpaine88 New Member

I was always unsure about this too...hopefully someone can fill us in.
  13. Canefan

Canefan New Member

Actually, all of the Chevy01 kernels are on ROM Manager in the download section. Thats how I changed mine.
  14. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

If I am not mistaken Petes v0.4 is already set up to be at 800 and 250 on the low side.
  15. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I may actually try the 800 later on, been running the 1000 P3, but consider this, if I'm already down to 800 thru setCPU, then essentially I'm running 800, still get the occasional HS redraw (ADW), so is that still the specific kernal?

Or are there fundamental code differences between the 1000 and the 800?

Also, has anyone just tried running the standard voltage vs the LV for the same kernal?

Hard topic IMO, because each phones CPU is going to react differently, and each phones loadout is also different.
  16. chomorro

chomorro New Member

Tried it and switched to p3 250-800 lv kernel. Works great much snappier phone with less redraws. INteresting, not sure why it works better but im sticking with it since i care more about a faster phone then bench marks.
  17. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

as far as boot animations, I think it is because the phone is just lagging at 125, witht he 250 klernal it is much faster thru the boot itself. Anyone with better knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Same with screen off at 125 to 250, it just wakes up quicker.
  18. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I still say it's a memory management issue. I played with some settings and nothing totally fixes my redraws, better perhaps, but it doesn't eliminate them. Have to try the 800 kernel, but I don't see why there would be improvement.

What I did notice - in Quadrant you can go into system information and it shows that I have between 6-12 megs of memory free (just standard home set-up not running anything)! So, obviously, launch a large enough app or use something long enough to take up some memory (like flash or browsing) and your phone has to start killing stuff. I'm thinking if the launcher itself isn't being killed, there are widgets or apps integrated with your home them that are getting killed and this you launcher doens't like it and this leads to redraws.

That's an interesting bit of information, because if I go into running processes through phone settings it shows 50-60 megs free.

I should say, based on some people stripping things down and still getting redraws, that there seems to be at least a couple of issues going on. It would appear the home launcher getting pushed to the background also causes issues (and some people said checking ADW or whatever to remain in foreground helps). And probably something else going on that we haven't figured out yet.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  19. xeraxes

xeraxes New Member

Canefan, I was having the exact same issues with .4 on my original droid. Screen redraws, the homescreen would not swipe, apps would be slow, etc.

I followed your advice and got the chevy LV .8 and it works like a charm now. Everything is back to being quick, snappy and responsive so far. Thanks for the heads up!
  20. Nerf

Nerf Member

I'm running BB0.4 with Fabolous' X Theme (forgot the official name, but it's awesome!), and ChevyNo1's ULV 1.25GHz kernal with full reliability. Running SetSPU profiles for Screen Off & Charging to 550MHZ, but otherwise running 400/1.25GHz with no heat-ups, no lockups, no random reboots, nothing. The speed and the battery life-to-performance ratio are insane, as the batt time is even better than the stock 800mhz BB0.4 kernal.
Search tags for this page

changing kernels android lag