Never rooted Razr ICS Update failed 6.16.211.en.us

Thanasi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've seen threads like this for the update failed, but I haven't seen one yet for a never rooted Razr. The solution for the rooted Razr is usually Matt's Utility or something along those lines but I often feel overlooked. Anyways, like everyone else, the update downloads fine and then installs to about 1/3 of the way and then the picture changes to the caution symbol. I bought this phone directly from Verizon so it wasn't ever used at any other point. I have also had problems with the 3.5mm jack, and I never get 4G even in 4G areas so I could possibly have a bad device. Has this happened to anyone else unrooted, and have you found any solutions? Thanks guys

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you deleted any of the Verizon bloatware apps that were pre-installed on the phone? That's a common problem with OTA updates failing.

You could use Matt's utility 1.8 to go back to stock .211, that should fix any problems with the OS. And you don't have to be rooted for that. :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forum!

I would try doing a factory data reset from recovery before you try the install.

Power off the phone, hold volume up and down at the same time then the power button as well. When the black screen with white letters come up press volume down to go to recovery and press volume up to select it.

Once you see the Android guy with his chest open press the volume up and down at the same time. Then when you are in the recovery menu press the volume down to get to wipe data and press the power button to select it.

When this is down reboot your phone and let it go through the initial setup and download the update again. To note doing a factory data reset it will erase everything on your phone and leave it completely factory, so you should back stuff up to your sd card and remove it prior to doing the FDR.

If you don't want to do this, you could still boot into recovery and clear the cache only that will delete the download from your phone. From there you could try downloading it again, you could have gotten a corrupt download. Or you could even download the update.zip manually and move it to your SD Card Ext and install it manually from recovery. If you want to do that we can offer instructions for that as well.

OP
T

Thanasi

Reaction score
Have you deleted any of the Verizon bloatware apps that were pre-installed on the phone? That's a common problem with OTA updates failing.

You could use Matt's utility 1.8 to go back to stock .211, that should fix any problems with the OS. And you don't have to be rooted for that. :)

Hey thanks for the reply! But don't you have to be rooted to delete the bloatware? I know I have hidden some of the bloatware but is it possible to delete bloatware without root? I may have done it

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply! But don't you have to be rooted to delete the bloatware? I know I have hidden some of the bloatware but is it possible to delete bloatware without root? I may have done it

No, that should only disable them and not showing those apps in the app drawer. As Sydman said, a factory data reset should put everything back to normal. . That would have been my next recommendation since you said you hadn't deleted any bloat :)

OP
T

Thanasi

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies guys! This forum is amazing. I forgot to mention that I have done a factory restore to no avail. I don't remember doing it the way you described sydman but I'm pretty sure I have done it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thanks for the quick replies guys! This forum is amazing. I forgot to mention that I have done a factory restore to no avail. I don't remember doing it the way you described sydman but I'm pretty sure I have done it.

Well you can also do one from within your phone under the Privacy section of your settings. If a FDR didn't work then you will have to try the fastboot files, so you are on stock .181 Gingerbread now?

OP
T

Thanasi

Reaction score
Well you can also do one from within your phone under the Privacy section of your settings. If a FDR didn't work then you will have to try the fastboot files, so you are on stock .181 Gingerbread now?

That's correct, I am on stock .181 GB

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
That's correct, I am on stock .181 GB

If you want to use the Razr Utility in the Hacks Section you are going to need version 1.6, that has the files need to return you to stock .181.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Then you should use Matt's utility version 1.8 ... select option one when you run the utility. That will upgrade you to .211 (ICS) :)

No don't do that, those fastboot files are for someone who is on .211 already if you flash those when you are on .181 you will have major issues like those other users in the hacks sections.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No don't do that, those fastboot files are for someone who is on .211 already if you flash those when you are on .181 you will have major issues like those other users in the hacks sections.

I was under the impression that version would take you up or down to .211 because it's "Official ICS" ... my bad! Thanks for the catch! :)

OP
T

Thanasi

Reaction score
If you want to use the Razr Utility in the Hacks Section you are going to need version 1.6, that has the files need to return you to stock .181.

Thanks for the quick replies! So what option do I select in 1.6? And is this considered rooting at all? I'm a little confused with what the Razr Utility does.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's option one, "Restore Droid Razr to 6.12.181" in version 1.6.

It will restore your operating system phone to stock condition, and it won't root unless you select that option. :)

OP
T

Thanasi

Reaction score
Alright guys, I am waiting on that download to complete and I'll let you know how it goes after I run through the Utility. I really appreciate your replies and again I'm amazed by this forum!