Network using USB

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
Is it possible to network an Anroid using a USB cable instead of WiFi? It seems possible theoretically but I have not heard of it in reality.

I also assume that this question has been asked before but when I try to search I get nothing but irrelevant results.

OP
S

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
Thank you Dezymond, but I am not sure that will work. The descriptions of easytether indicates that it is for a PC to use the internet in in the phone. We want the phone to be able to use the internet from a PC. Is that possible using easytether? To be more specific, we have a wired Ethernet connection with the internet at one end and a PC at the other end. We want to connect Android to a PC using the USB and then in the phone use the internet through the PC.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thank you Dezymond, but I am not sure that will work. The descriptions of easytether indicates that it is for a PC to use the internet in in the phone. We want the phone to be able to use the internet from a PC. Is that possible using easytether? To be more specific, we have a wired Ethernet connection with the internet at one end and a PC at the other end. We want to connect Android to a PC using the USB and then in the phone use the internet through the PC.

ohhh ok, I thought you wanted internet from the phone-to-pc without wifi.

Don't think you could get that type of signal through a usb cable. I don't know if they make any sort of adapter (I've never seen or heard of it), but pretty sure it's not possible.

Gonna have to get a router or just stick to your 3g connection....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can certainly find adapters. Your device can't use them though. USB port isn't for accessories that require USB host mode or USB on the go.

Get an access point/router.

FX4

Reaction score
Why not Wifi? If you are using a laptop, you can just set up an adhoc network and share your internet connection. I'm kind if lost as to why you want to use USB only.