1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Network Extender

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by BigMcGuire, Nov 12, 2010.

1. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

Anyone have any experience with the new Network Extender? I see it is made by Samsung now and offers 3G along with the 1x network.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/networkextender/

I get about 96-110 dBm in my house and I've had a pretty difficult time with missing calls because of that. But dropping $250 on a "network extender" that only works 40 feet (probably what, 20 feet in reality, like calling on WiFi?)
  2. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

I bought the original network extender about 2 months ago. It was $200 with a $100 rebate, which I received promptly. This one does not have the 3G support, just phone. My home wifi is strong, so I never need the 3G. I could not use the phone in most of the house, had mostly around -100 dBm. I just looked at my phone now and it is -61dBm and I get flawless phone service anywhere in the house. Too bad it is back to $250. The $100 it cost me was completely acceptable for the benefit. $250 seems pretty steep.
  3. belome

belome New Member

I have one of these at my house... [actually, mine is the older YX500 model]

Newegg.com - Wireless Extenders YX600-CEL Wireless Cell Phone Extender

Its not perfect but it sure beats not having anything. [I don't have broadband, so thier network extender wasn't an option for me]

My house is fairly small, but I can now talk anywhere in the house without dropping the calls now.
  4. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

I had the original one for a few days (about a year ago) before returning it. It didn't work or play well with my Droid 1. The Droid would constantly be switching between the NE for service and the nearest tower for data. Often times, even when connecting via the network extender, it would not allow calls to go through. This happened on both my Droid 1 and on my wifes Palm. I sent it back for a refund.

That said, I'm receiving the "new and improved" network extender in the mail today, and hopefully it works better. I was able to talk the customer service reps into giving me $100 off the price bringing the total to $150. My argument was that I have 2 smartphones with unlimited data plans, and they're useless about %80 of the time.
  5. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

MNTNBKR - I have several people willing to pitch in to get this Network Extender now that it has 3g. Let me know how it goes for you ok? Many thanks!
  6. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

My girlfriend lives on the eastern shore of virginia. The signal is strong on the highway but her house is surrounded by trees. My droid would consistently get -100 to -102 dbs, and my gfs ally would be slightly worse. She has verizon dsl and a wifi router, so I bought the network extender for her birthday. Now she never gets dropped calls. All the network extender is is a voip device, as it uses the broadband internet connection. Once at her house I just turn data off and use wifi for data.

Droidforums.net appified!
  7. danwanna

danwanna New Member

I use the original Network Extender and other than some occasional static (not sure why) on the line it works great. I also use WiFi at home, so I'm really not missing the 3G.

The only other issue I have noticed is that if someone calls my Google Voice number which gets forwarded to my Droid2 through my NE, the lag increases. I don't know if that is a GV issue or a NE issue, but I can definitely tell what number they called if I am on the NE.
  8. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Alright! So, I just got home from work and set up the network extender. My initial impression is that this one is done right. Observing my phone behavior while connected to the NE for the last half hour, I haven't noticed and weird activity like I did with the original one. I did have to do a *228 -> option 2 in order to get data flowing through the NE on my wifes Droid 1, but my DX was working straight away.

One HUGE bug fix that seems to have been corrected from the original NE is the GPS location problem described here. My location is now correctly displayed even when connected through the NE.

I have yet to place more then a couple of test calls, so I can't be sure that this one won't have the same connectivity problems that I had with the original one however, I'm pretty confident that that has been fixed too.

I'll report back in a couple days if there are any notable developments.
  9. harrellj

harrellj New Member

Gah! This explains so much! I've noticed lately that all my weather apps seem to believe I'm in the northeast corner of my state instead of southwest and couldn't figure out why, especially since I never had a problem with this before. I just shrugged my shoulders and set most of them to the city I'm in instead of having them figure it out for themselves. We have the original NE.
  10. greyghost04

greyghost04 New Member

Mine works great. I have the 1st generation extender and went from no bars to 5 bars throughout my entire house including the basement. Why do you need 3G. Don't you have wi-fi in your house? When you go in your house the Droid will auto switch to wi-fi, so 3G is superfluous. Find a 1st gen model (Ebay?) for $50 and you'll never be sad you did it.
  11. IanG

IanG New Member

12. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

OK, so I may have jumped the gun on this point just a little bit. I noticed that if I un-check "Use GPS Satellites" under the Location and Security Settings, and leave only the "Use Wireless Networks" enabled, the location will still be determined based on the Network Extender. How the NE places my phone 200 miles from my actual location is a mystery to me though.

However, when BOTH "Use GPS Satellites" & "Use Wireless Networks" are checked, the location is determined from the GPS satellites by default whereas before, it was determined from the NE by default. So, I'm not sure if the network extender was changed, or if the GPS priorities within Android OS were changed since I had my original NE. Either way, I believe it works as it should now because I no longer have to disable the "Use Wireless Networks" in order for proper GPS location to be determined.

I've made a couple of calls and sent some text messages as well as used the 3G connection for some downloads without issues. So far, I'm happy with the device. I think it's worth the $150 that I paid.
Search tags for this page
can i use verizon network extender with straight talk
does straight talk have a network extender
how to bypass s network extender?
how to bypass verizon activation network extender
network extender for straight talk
network extender for straight talk phones
straight talk extender
straight talk gsm network extenders

straight talk network extender

straight talk service extender
straight talk signal extender