Network Extender and the Droid

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Good idea 928droid. If it turns out that your E911 location is indeed inaccurate, it is very serious and Verizon would be smart to address the issue immediately. They could end up with a hell of a law suit on their hands if responders head to a location that is 2 hours away from where an emergency is actually happening.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I tried using a network extender for about two weeks. Unfortunately it was pretty flakey. Half the time it didn't allow me to connnect with either my phone (droid) or my wifes Centro. The droid was constantly switching between the normal tower and the NE for service as well (data indicator would switch back and forth between 1x and 3g) so I was concerned about battery life. And finally, if you're using aGPS for your location, the NE screws that up pretty bad.

I hope you have a better experience with yours.

They work much better if you have little or no signal from a local tower. I've been using mine for 6 months and it is perfect.

GiantDroid

Reaction score
Oh, we misunderstood you. We thought you were making/receiving calls *over* wifi. Sounds like you are just making vzn network calls while also having wifi on.

Yes, I knew that we could do this. We can also browse the internet over wifi while making a call over the 3G network. Unfortunately, can't do both over 3G yet.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I now see something that the others were talking about. I live in San Diego and when I bring up Google maps, it shows the correct location of my house. However, I started to notice that Beautiful Widgets had the weather for Miramar, which is about 10 miles away. It corrected itself if I left the house, but it didn't strike me until I added a restaurant app that gave restaurants (as my location) in Miramar as well. That must be where the hub is for the internet connection.

Last edited:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
If you turm ogg your GPS I would guess that Google Maps will not get your correct location either. IMHO, this "flaw" is a big deal and I how it is addressed.

If they don't fix it in the current Verizon repeater I hope it will be fixed in the new 3G 8-user Verizon repeater coming out later this year (2nd Q), FYI, this new one was announced at CES and looks very nice.

Samsung's 'combo' femtocell for Verizon in the wild at CES -- Engadget Mobile