Netflix on Droid 1 (with no phone) not working?

ohaya

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here... Just "inherited" a original Droid 1 from my son. This is a phone that he replaced, so it's not currently activated on any carrier.

I am trying to get Netflix working on it, over WIFI.

I've been able to install Netflix from Market (again on WIFI), but whenever I try to start it, I get a white screen, and then a popup saying to check connectivity and date and time.

Connectivity (via WIFI) is fine (I can browse) and the date and time are correct, so I've been trying to figure out how to get it working.

I'm also wondering if the problem may be that the Netflix app is still trying to connect to Netflix over 3G or something like that, but I've tried all kinds of things, e.g., airplane mode with WIFI enabled, etc., but so far, no success.

I've even tried a couple of build.prop changes.

My son says that he has a friend who has a Droid 1, but still activated, and Netflix works on that, but I haven't been able to find anyone who is in a situation like mine (Droid 1, no phone network).

The phone is on Android 2.2, rooted.

Thanks,
Jim

bplewis24

Reaction score
Man, that would suck if the Netflix .apk is searching for an active phone band before starting up. I plan on keeping my D1 in active use even when I deactivate it for the Bionic, and I'd hate for other apps to do that.

Brandon

pepsi3573

Reaction score
Hubby has an OGDroid, we have netflix on it via WiFi. Netflix seems, to have been tweaking somethings on their end quite often the last few weeks. If I run into an issue, I have going that if I go to the market place for netflix, usually there are comments in the reviews about something being down.

Sent from my LG Revolution using DroidForums

OP
O

ohaya

Reaction score
Man, that would suck if the Netflix .apk is searching for an active phone band before starting up. I plan on keeping my D1 in active use even when I deactivate it for the Bionic, and I'd hate for other apps to do that.

Brandon

Agreed. It'd be a big disappointment for me also :)...

I've found a couple of other 'gotchas' with this non-activated phone (e.g., Sipdroid), but was able to workaround those because the apps had specific settings to not use 3G/4G.

I don't (yet) know for 100% sure if it's only because the phone is not on a carrier network. My son has another friend with a Droid that doesn't have a carrier, and he said he's going to ask him to try to test Netflix on that. Until then, so far, I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Jim

OP
O

ohaya

Reaction score
Hubby has an OGDroid, we have netflix on it via WiFi. Netflix seems, to have been tweaking somethings on their end quite often the last few weeks. If I run into an issue, I have going that if I go to the market place for netflix, usually there are comments in the reviews about something being down.

Sent from my LG Revolution using DroidForums

Hi,

I already checked the Market reviews. There was one comment that said something like "make sure you have 3G" or something like that, but no info beyond that.

Jim

pepsi3573

Reaction score
I just checked my app is working on here, on the OGDroid, it's working, that one if not on a service plan, just through my home wifi. It did take a minute to load. So I don't think that having a service plan is the issue, does the app need an update?

Sent from my VS910 4G using DroidForums

OP
O

ohaya

Reaction score
I just checked my app is working on here, on the OGDroid, it's working, that one if not on a service plan, just through my home wifi. It did take a minute to load. So I don't think that having a service plan is the issue, does the app need an update?

Sent from my VS910 4G using DroidForums

pepsi,

Your post inspired me, plus, I had left the phone on the Netflix error screen and it went to sleep last night, and when I woke up this a.m., and woke it, there was a different msg saying that it couldn't access some web site.

So, I started thinking that it was a firewall problem, and I put the phone's IP address in my router's DMZ, and VOILA!!

Got Netflix :)!!

Thanks a lot!

Jim

OP
O

ohaya

Reaction score
Hi,

BTW, I've now taken the Droid out of the firewall DMZ, and restarted the router and Netflix is still working. I'm not sure if I needed to do the restart, but I definitely didn't want to leave the Droid in the DMZ.

Earlier, I'd seen some info about some people having to restart their firewalls to get Netflix working on Android, but I had checked the firewall logs and hadn't seen anything weird, so I had discounted that :)...

I've also updated Netflix to the latest version from Market, and it's all still working.

Later,
Jim

Oxymoron

Reaction score
Good news. I also plan to continue to use my D1 off contract via WIFI once I upgrade to a new device. Mainly for emulators, but Netflix occasionally as well.

Thanks for the posts, I was wondering about this.

*customized tapatalk signature*

OP
O

ohaya

Reaction score
Hi,

You're welcome, and hopefully the info above will help others if they try this.

I'm still kind of curious about why I had to do that. It doesn't make sense to me, because the firewall shouldn't be blocking outgoing connections, and, since it's working now, even after taking the phone out of the DMZ and restarting the router, the router shouldn't be blocking incoming on whatever port the Netflix app is listening on.

There must be something in the firewall that's persisting after it works, or something strange like that, but I don't know what that might be.

Oh well. Just glad it's working :)!!

Jim

drodro76

Reaction score
I just had this problem, and it turned out that the droid won't get date and time updates off the carrier network. Go to the market and install the free ntp client program, and have it update the system date/time for you. It can't be more than a few minutes off. Now I just have some wifi connectivity issues that sometimes causes you to think netflix isn't working after watching for a bit. Turn wifi on and off to fix that for 10 to 160 minutes.