Neflix About to Go Up in Price Again (for some users)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
netflix-shadow-logo.jpeg

Netflix has reminded us that their price increase on existing customers will go into affect in the middle part of this year. As a recap, in May of 2014, Netflix raised their streaming price for new customers from $7.99 to $8.99 (per month). Then, in October of last year, new users were raised from $8.99 to $9.99. These new rates only applied to new customers, and not to existing customers already on the $7.99 plan; however, Netflix made it clear that this was temporary, and that eventually they would raise the price for all existing customers to the new $9.99 rate sometime in 2016.

Guess what year it is... Netflix is sticking to their guns with the price increase. For users who subscribed after the last price hike, your price will not change as you are already on the $9.99 per month plan. For final clarity, it's important to note that this new $9.99 per month price is for customers to access the HD version of the service. For folks willing to put up with Standard Definition television, the price will be $7.99 per month. Additionally, the $9.99 per month plan allows users to stream to two TVs at the same time, whereas the $7.99 plan only allows for one.

What do you folks think? Is Netflix service worth shelling out an extra $24 bucks per year?

Source: Netflix

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
As long as they're providing the extra services as stated, I think it's fair. HD and 2 devices at the same time...and if their content keeps expanding, then I see no problem with it.

Now if it were reduced service and cutting content...that would be a different story. But they've been pretty good with their justifications for price increases, so no qualms here.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Its fine. I watch it at work, home on my Roku, my phone too. The content they are making is quite good so as long as the quality stays where it is, $10 a month is fine with me.

Plus, between my Note 5 and my wife's S6 Edge, we have 2 years paid for on it already. I wonder if that timeline will change with the price increase or if they will honor the free year that tmobile did at 8.99. Also, logged in to my account and it says my price is guaranteed until October of 2016 at 8.99.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think it's crazy to pay extra for the HD.
"Willing to put up with" standard definition? Come on. Not like it's even remotely a bad picture.
HD needs to be THE standard. Period. As long as people continue to pay for HD, they will continue to charge for it. I promise you if no one was paying extra for HD, SD would go away and everything would be HD.
"Well, we aren't making any money on it, might as well make it the standard and brag about how we offer free HD".... kind of like Time Warner did in my area.
Remember when HD TV was an extra monthly charge?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't had it since they jacked all the prices up a few years ago. Don't miss it. Between Amazon Prime and pay as you go rentals I am happy without Netflix. (And I don't watch TV shows because I hate serials.)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Willing to put up with" standard definition? Come on. Not like it's even remotely a bad picture.
HD needs to be THE standard. Period. As long as people continue to pay for HD, they will continue to charge for it. I promise you if no one was paying extra for HD, SD would go away and everything would be HD.
"Well, we aren't making any money on it, might as well make it the standard and brag about how we offer free HD".... kind of like Time Warner did in my area.
Remember when HD TV was an extra monthly charge?
With Dish most of my paid movies are less expensive in hd than sd and many hd on demand titles are free but $3 and up for their sd versions.
I just finished my free month of Netflix at the $9.99 option (hd and 2 devices) but they offered me a higher version for $11.99 that included ultra hd (whatever that is) and up to 4 devices at once. Since my daughters use it often at the same time I don't mind paying a couple bucks more for the extra device but if they lose interest I'll just cancel the whole thing anyway.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Gremlin

Reaction score
Remember you are watching their content over ISP. ISP is charging netflix because of the bandwidth usage..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't have a problem with this increase. Glad they let me keep my lower price for as long as they did. I still think it's worth it. As others have stated, they're making some really great original programming these days, so if that continues and/or grows as it's supposed to, I think the price is fair.

I've got Amazon Prime as well, but I always go to Netflix first. Possibly only because I had Netflix well before Amazon started offering streaming content. I've been a member since I got DVDs in the mail and there was no streaming option on Netflix.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6

HD needs to be THE standard. Period. As long as people continue to pay for HD, they will continue to charge for it. I promise you if no one was paying extra for HD, SD would go away and everything would be HD

I definitely agree with this. Why does SD even exist anymore?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I definitely agree with this. Why does SD even exist anymore?

As long as people continue to pay for HD, they will continue to charge for it. I promise you if no one was paying extra for HD, SD would go away and everything would be HD.

"It's only one more dollar to rent that movie from Amazon in HD" (Even though you can barely tell the difference)
"It's only an extra dollar a month for Netflix HD"

As long as these attitudes continue, SD is here for the long haul.

Believe me...I'm not cheap. And I'm not poor. I am really good at pissing money away, trust me. But I simple refuse to play this "pay extra for HD" game.
Join me.
Let's start a movement.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
It's worth it to a lot of people just for this simple fact :D:

a2FE2MW.jpg

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Still worth the price IMO.
As for SD programming, Netflix offers a number of older programs, documentaries etc that were originally shot in SD, however majority of their programming is HD by default. Out of the three services I currently pay for, (Netflix, Prime & HBOGo) we definitely watch Netflix the most. If I include PPV movies or shows, than Prime would easily be my most watched streaming service. Prime also offers HD & SD options when purchasing additional programming not included in their service. It's typically a dollar more for HD. (It's worth the extra dollar imo) I didn't purchase an HDTV to not utilize it to its fullest potential, but that's just me.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with this increase. Glad they let me keep my lower price for as long as they did. I still think it's worth it. As others have stated, they're making some really great original programming these days, so if that continues and/or grows as it's supposed to, I think the price is fair.

I've got Amazon Prime as well, but I always go to Netflix first. Possibly only because I had Netflix well before Amazon started offering streaming content. I've been a member since I got DVDs in the mail and there was no streaming option on Netflix.
I only tried Netflix because my by far favorite show on television, Longmire, got dropped from cable and Netflix picked up the next season plus the previous ones. Though it's geared for folks my age it didn't do well enough with the younger viewers so their former channel dropped it instead of adopting advertisements geared toward my generation. I find it ironic that a service used much more by a younger generation than mine saw the Benjamins potential more its former owner did.
Anyway I gave my family the credentials to use and and said "we'll try before buy" and if y'all don't want it I'll drop it when the trial is over. Needless to say they are why I kept it,I missed a bunch of sleep the first few nights catching up on Longmire

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><