Need Your Opinion Regarding Stock Apps

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JargonScott, Jan 27, 2011.

1. JargonScott

JargonScott New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everybody,

Here's my situation, I'm a recent convert to the school of root so consider me a root noob. Anyway, when I rooted I installed Titanium Backup (free version) and went onto delete 6 apps (Amazon Kindle, Blockbuster, City ID, VZ Navigator, Madden and Skype) and did not create a backup before hand...again a noob move. Everything was fine until I was reading on the forum that deleting stock bloatware will prevent the next OTA update from going through. In a panic, I found all the stock apps from ChadHaney.com (Droid X Default Applications - ChadHaney.com), reinstalled them in the system/app directory in Root Explorer and set proper permissions to make them stock again (I verified via Titanium Backup that they were red).

So here's the question, has anybody ever did the above and had the OTA update go through? I keep seeing on this forum and other forums that the end result is always mixed with people saying they did get the update and others saying they didn't. I know that flashing an .sbf would be a different route but I would rather leave that until there's no other alternative since I'm still learning about flashing and using ROMs.

I'm currently running the stock ROM with the official 2.2.1 update on a Droid X. Any information or opinions would be much appreciated.

P.S. I apologize if this thread is posted in the wrong area.

2. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    hmm not sure bout this, but on rom manager, they have a stock rom. thisll probably have all gapps<.. theres another thing maybe just installing gapps will do the trick. sorry cant help ya much, i do think it will work with an ota update. dont know 100% though