1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need to unroot and erase droid but have broken screen?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by abooch1, Oct 16, 2010.

1. abooch1

abooch1 New Member

Is there anyway I can do this? Verizon is sending me a new droid and then I have to send them the old one back. The screen doesn't work so I can't see anythhing. Is this going to be a problem? Can they charge me the full price if they find out that its rooted? Can they find out if the screen is broke?
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Assuming this is a D1 or DX, you can download the SBF and flash the phone back to it's original state.....

It's likely that they'll never know, especially with a busted screen, but it cant hurt to be sure. And yes, on the off chance that they do find out, they can charge you full price.
  3. abooch1

abooch1 New Member

yea I have the droid one.. How do I do it? I can't see anything on the screen..
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

There's a sticky in one of the Droid subforums that is titled "SBF to root and unroot". It will walk you through the process -- the most tricky part will be getting into the bootloader, which should still be doable without a screen, you'll just have to let RSDLite tell you you're there.
  5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

6. abooch1

abooch1 New Member

Thanks! What do you mean I need to have RSDlite tell me I'm there? How woud I know i unrooted it without a screen. Oh i forgot to mention I have a mac I only could do it with Windows? haha?
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  7. LtKen

LtKen New Member

People with working screens rely on the screen to tell you if you're at the bootloader screen. You'll have to depend on the computer software telling you that it's connected and ready.

Flashing a stock SBF will get you back to stock, that's it. You'll know you're stock, because you flashed an SBF.
  8. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

If all you have is a Mac, then you will have to use an emulator (or VM) to run windows to be able to use RSD Lite. The good part is, they can't see your screen, you can't see your screen, and if RSD Lite fails, all the better.

good luck
  9. abooch1

abooch1 New Member

hey LT Im not able to get my phone to show up in RDS lite... any ideas? Again I can't see the screen so..
  10. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Follow the instructions carefully, and give plenty of time to each step... That's the best I can do for you. Sorry.
  11. PJ_ED

PJ_ED New Member

Un-rooted D1 with broken screen

I have a D1 with a non-viewable screen. I say non-viewable because that seems to be the only problem. It still responds to touch. I can tell from the vibrations. I just got a warranty replacement from VZ today and wanted to make it stock again so I can return it to VZ un-rooted. I followed all of the instructions above and am now just going to cross my fingers that it worked correctly. Or, I hope the return center won't even check, if they even could.

The process above was pretty easy, assuming it worked. The only thing I did different is I installed the FRG83D.sbf which is what came on my replacement phone. I got the .sbf from Peter Alfonso

Thanks for the help. Great info!!
Search tags for this page
clear android broken screen
do i need to unroot phone if i send it back for broken scree
erase droid incredible no screen
hacking in to a phone with a broken screen
how do you clear the memory off a droid razr ifthescreen is
how to erase android phones with broken screens

how to erase everything on android phone with ma broken scre

how to erasetouch screen borkerazr
how to wipe droid incredible 2 if i can't see the screen
how to wipe s4 when you cant see the screen